Heads Up: Ballistic indestructable watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Heads up - this on-line shop does one-day promotions on watches. This Friday only the Ballistic Green Dial chronograph is reduced from £139 to £33. They also do the plain 'Ballistic Sabre' on Tuesday (tomorrow ) from £79 reduced to £20. I bought a Sabre watch about a year ago and it seems true to the hype, it's very tough - see the videos here, they are entertaining!!

No connection with the company - just a happy customer etc. And for 20 quid you can't go wrong!!!

seg

Apr 2, 2010
Tyneside
Always great to have heads up, Seg, and not to put a damper on this, but a quick google will find these items at £84 and £47 respectively. So it still looks a good deal (although I don't know the Ballistic name) just maybe not so good as it suggests.

Videos are entertaining but the most common cause of failure in a watch is not hitting it with a hammer, its liquid or dust ingress. The hype says they are 'waterproof and bullet proof to 140 vickers'. Vickers is a hardness test and 140 is standard for stainless steel, so I assume they are referring to the strap and casing. Any stainless steel watch can say the same and so can your average teaspoon.

The most important thing is your recommendation. If you have used and abused these watches and rate them then that would, as you say, be worth a punt, so thanks again for the HU!

(PS Sorry for being a Grinch, having just forked out £300 for a Traser and its still stinging :( )

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a marketing con like Krug Baumem watches. They put a high RRP on a watch that is worth a third of that amount, then they offer huge discount a few months later. In actual fact you are paying what the watch is worth. This practice isn't illegal, and many wacth companys use this tactic... Baumen, Klaus Kobec and this Ballistic company to name just a few. Caveat Emptor.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
It's a marketing con like Krug Baumem watches. They put a high RRP on a watch that is worth a third of that amount, then they offer huge discount a few months later. In actual fact you are paying what the watch is worth. This practice isn't illegal, and many wacth companys use this tactic... Baumen, Klaus Kobec and this Ballistic company to name just a few. Caveat Emptor.

Caveat Emptor indeed.
I would not recommend them at the claimed RRP, but as I said, for 20 quid you can't go wrong. I have had a few 'working' watches that I use when camping, gardening, working on the car, on holiday etc. Two (more expensive) Timex expedition have not, unfortunately, lasted the course; I bought the Sabre last year and it has taken significant abuse without a scratch (so far). On the strength of my experience, I think that 20 quid is a bargain.
However, it's a free country, and your mileage may vary :)
seg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE