Hauling with a bicycle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
For a long time I've used a bicycle to carry my stuff into wild and inhospitable places, with good effect. It has its advantages, you are able to push along a fair old weight without supporting it with your body, and once you make camp, the bike can be used for shifting large pieces of wood etc. I used to stay in an area where itinerant workers would pass from the West to East of Scotland for seasonal casual work on farms, and many of them.would use an old bike to shift all their possessions. Nothing fancy, the best one I had was an old single speed Hopper "posties" bike. The Americans found to their cost, what could be shifted by bicycle during the Vietnam war, and they should have known, their own countrymen probably helped to pioneer the practice.

https://alaskahistoricalsociety.org/discover-alaska/glimpses-of-the-past/gold-rush-bicycling/

http://tubulocity.com/?p=66

Reactions: grip

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've often used a bicycle in the past when I lived in the flatter parts of somerset. It's amazing how much gear you can carry. A little trailer means even more luxury if you want it. You don't have to worry about leaving a car unattended for a couple of days. Best of all its free!( No petrol or road tax.) And eco friendly.

Reactions: GuestD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very popular summer tourist travel here. People from all over the world in western Canada.
Most of them are very well equipped, I wonder if they sell it off before flying home.

4 panniers and a trailer = just left home.
4 panniers = maybe a month on the road.
2 big panniers = don't remember date of leaving home. Left all the other stuff in Ontario.
= = =
You need to do Highway #93 in Alberta. AKA the Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Lake Louise.
Highway #16 in BC from Prince George, west to the coast and over to Haida Gwaii would be a ride.

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Biking is fun! Specially when you are young and agile. Once you lose that you get a bike with an engine attached. Fun too.
Yes the engine is essential for me nowadays, Tho I still have a pushbike... with an electric motor. Essential to get out of the vally unless you're young and fit.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I enjoy a roof over my head. My 4-wheel GMC has a better seat for my boney old a$$.
The heaters throughout the vehicle are a real comfort.
My only wish is for a far bigger tail-gate glass for rainy day picnic lunch stops.
Even something sturdy and clip on would be a relief.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I use my bike as a pack bike. When it is laden it is not ridden, it's pushed.
vietnamese_cargo_bike_2.jpg

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I wanted to construct a trailer that had no welding on and using a ladder seemed the logical way to make it lightweight.
It’s fine with 150kgs on it bit of a bugger to get up the hills and not to bad to stop.
The way the hitch sits it pushes you in the middle so it’s ok and most cars give me a wide birth

Reactions: GuestD

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I always fancied one of those single wheel trailers that attach to the axle after GGTBod (I think) showed one in use. Couldn't justify it back then (or now) but loved the design and idea.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I’ve got a few more trailers that I’m going to make and one of them is going to be a single wheeled trailer. I’ll post pictures of them when I’m done

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE