Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
A while ago, I came across a fair quantity of (very) old canvas. I have been busy trying to find things to make out of it. My Tilley hat has gained so much character as it has aged, but it is blue (it was a gift) and it refuses to be water proof. This hat was inspired by Tilley and Real Deal hats. The idea was to make a hat that already has a history so I would never be squeamish about abusing it.

5268763284_6167cdfe52.jpg

5268763358_2bc19008c8.jpg

No sign of persnicketyness!

5268763130_6c130e51a8.jpg

The lining band is a fabric belt that came with a pair of wifey's trousers.

5268153753_4be9166b96.jpg

There's a smock to match as well.

Many thanks to Toddy for providing the brass hardware - they are perfect!

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
No pattern at all - I just copied my Tilley. I did come up with a plan to get the size right: The first part to be sewn was the ....(short pause while I google "anatomy of a hat") side-band which I cut over-long, giving me a kind of open ended tube which was slightly conical. I then stuck this on me 'ead and marked where it fitted. Then I just cut off all the extra I didn't need.

Z

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
No pattern at all - I just copied my Tilley. I did come up with a plan to get the size right: The first part to be sewn was the ....(short pause while I google "anatomy of a hat") side-band which I cut over-long, giving me a kind of open ended tube which was slightly conical. I then stuck this on me 'ead and marked where it fitted. Then I just cut off all the extra I didn't need.

Z

Ahhh, very cunning m'lord

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I know it's considered not the 'done thing' to resurrect an old thread but I shared out a load of canvas recently and this is SUCH an idea project to make from it :) Especially with all the old sewing machines about atm just itching to be stitching again!

I bet the pattern instructions from blacktimberwolfs thread on making a leather aussie bushcraft hat would work well for this too :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd give belzeebob23 a shout, he's killed more Tilleys than anyone I know, has them on the wall in a hall of fame. He might want the kiss of life put back into one of them.

One of his many...
S7301087.JPG

*Isit really bad form to bring back old threads? I love some of the old ones

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
*Is it really bad form to bring back old threads? I love some of the old ones
Well, no flaming this time :) When its 3yr+, theres so many new members who haven't had the chance to see or forgotton it from 1st time round, I can get away with begging forgiveness :)

Its a brilliant make, the smock is a fine versatile idea too... wools great but this would definately have a time and place, either natural in subzero or dressed to proof it :) Theres some diy oilcloth discussions here for those who fall across the thread in another 3yrs ;)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The life of this forum is cyclical; like the seasons or the tides. Sometimes when the tide goes far out, forgotten things are revealed.
The hat is still going strong; just needs some more Greenland wax before the monsoon starts.
The smock has been thoroughly abused and smells of chainsaw oil. It fits the purpose "being outside"!
Still a favourite.

Z

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I used Nikwax on it last time. Easy to apply but I found it lost its waterproofness quite quickly.

Z

Did you heat the bottle in hot water first to melt out the heavier waxes? I find if you don't you end up with more carrier than wax and it wears off quicker. I've asked a couple of Nikwax reps if they could get this put on the bottle but it appears they haven't got 'round to it yet.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE