Hartmanns solution and canulars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if its possible for individuals to buy hartmanns solution and canulars.

I want to make up my own first aid kit but im after more than just plasters and crepe bandages.

Before anybody asks, i know how to use this kit as i was taught by HM forces,its just looking like you have to be a doctor or NHS manager to buy this kit.(i can buy from the US so why not here?)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I haven't seen hartmans anywhere in civis, I haven't really looked to be honest though. But canulas can be got from a few places, I don't think there are restrictions on them, you can get sterile sharps kits for taking abroad. I think these contain canulas, but not sure which type.
I did have a bottle of hartmans and a set to use it, but it was too bulky to carry and it was that long ago I don't even remember what I did with it!

Goes without saying about being careful if you do use it, one thing knowing how to use it, completely different about being qualified. Have to be an unusual situation for me to even consider using it in a civvy situation!

leon-1

stotRE said:
Does anybody know if its possible for individuals to buy hartmanns solution and canulars.

I want to make up my own first aid kit but im after more than just plasters and crepe bandages.

Before anybody asks, i know how to use this kit as i was taught by HM forces,its just looking like you have to be a doctor or NHS manager to buy this kit.(i can buy from the US so why not here?)

Stu, you will have to make sure that your civvy equivalent of the mil green card is upto date if you intend on using this at any time.

Cannula's, giving sets and Hartmanns solution can all be bought from here, I hope this will be of use to you:)

Reactions: stotRE
leon-1 said:
Stu, you will have to make sure that your civvy equivalent of the mil green card is upto date if you intend on using this at any time.

Cannula's, giving sets and Hartmanns solution can all be bought from here, I hope this will be of use to you:)

Cheers for that Leon-1,im after building a kit for my own family but i think that i will book myself onto a refresher course and make sure im upto date.

:thanks:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I think you should check out the Law regarding using this gear, even on your own family.

There have been Mountain Leaders who have been prosecuted for using something as innocuous as zinc- oxide plaster in Mountain Casualty situations (the wonders of 20/20 hindsight from a nice warm office) so I hate to think what they would do to you, even if you do know what you are doing!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
stotRE said:

http://www.spservices.co.uk/index.php/cPath/89?osCsid=81821ee33ea8f64f33a865794862cbab

Hope you know what you're doing with it - I pour gallons of Hartmans into people on a daily basis and I promise you there's a heluva lot more to it than just putting the needle in and turning on the tap. Quick test, give me one example of when would you choose to infuse someone with dex/saline or 5% dex over n/saline? If you cant answer without using google, you shouldnt be going anywhere near a living person with a cannula.

It's a POM by the way - oh and it's cannula, not canular.

I'm sorry if I sound abrupt, but HM forces train(?) numpty's to pour all sorts of crap into half dead soldiers on a battle field. If they get it wrong, well the soldier was dead anyway and there's plenty more where he came from. It's an entirely different proposition using this stuff on your family friends and innocent victim ...sorry, civilians. ;)

I'm also wondering what you need it for. A litre of Hartmans wieghs a kilo, so it's doubtful it's going into a bergen. There isnt anywhere in the UK where you need this kind of kit. What you need is a cellphone to call someone who knows what they are doing. If it's an emergency, 1000's of miles from civilization and your victim is clearly dying, then go for it, knock yourself out. But in any western country, there is simply no need for this.

For gods sake, tread carefully.

edit ~ just noticed leon has already posted the SP Services link, sorry.

Jackdaw

Martyn said:
http://www.spservices.co.uk/index.php/cPath/89?osCsid=81821ee33ea8f64f33a865794862cbab

I'm sorry if I sound abrupt, but HM forces train(?) numpty's to pour all sorts of crap into half dead soldiers on a battle field. If they get it wrong, well the soldier was dead anyway and there's plenty more where he came from. It's an entirely different proposition using this stuff on your family friends and innocent victim ...sorry, civilians. ;)

edit ~ just noticed leon has already posted the SP Services link, sorry.

Please don't generalise about military medical technicians. I have been patched up by them more times than I can remember and they have also saved the lives of a few of my boys more than once.

Yes their training may not be up to the standard of an NHS equivalent, but the work they undertake is totaly different. Battlefield first aid is, by nature, much different from the work the NHS has to undertake. Often, because of the casualty's position within the battle space, it is almost impossible to do anything more constructive than to give them a drip and some morphine and wait for them to die.

Often, it's more about apeasing the wants and needs of the guy's mates, who want something to be done and need to see it happen before they can move on to the next job that will get them shot.

It is more often the case that soldiers are patched up just enough to get them back to an aid post. I remember being taught on a civi first aid course not to use a tourniquet, yet, funnily enough, it was the only way I could stop one of my lads bleeding out after stepping on a land mine. It's quite hard to get them to sit still under enemy fire whilst you are trying to get a hold on what's left of the femorial artery without any white light and everything is a bit sticky.

My point is this: The numpties you mention may not have any GCSE's or civilian equivalent qualifications, but they do have to pass an intelligence test and master the techniques they are taught. And these techniques have been tried and tested on people like me for quite a long time. Yes new techniques and ways of thinking come into popularity within civi street and the military medical community are often the last to adopt these changes, but sometimes it goes the other way. The Falklands War enabled military medical personnel to see the effects of cooling on a bleeding casualty's survival rate. They directly correlated this to the examples and data seen in the warm climate of Vietnam and they quickly realised the results. Next thing you know, the derigour way of treating a severe bleed is to cool the casualty to slow the blood flow and hence loss.

Sorry for the long post, and please don't take offence as would be all too easy.

Jackdaw

Reactions: bambodoggy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Martyn said:

Quick test, give me one example of when would you choose to infuse someone with dex/saline or 5% dex over n/saline? If you cant answer without using google, you shouldnt be going anywhere near a living person with a cannula.

For gods sake, tread carefully.

Hypo. Tho' I'd rather carry 20mls 50% dex and give as a bolus (or hypostop gel, which is far less invasive).

i have to be honest (I'm in the trade as well) you won't find me carrying anything other than basic FAK.

i agree with your last comment...accountability is such a big issue...

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Fair enough, but Battlefield medicine has no place in civillian First Aid.

Going beyond what is accepted practice for lay people will get you prosecuted.

Leave advanced techniques to properly trained Paramedics.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jackdaw said:
Please don't generalise about military medical technicians. I have been patched up by them more times than I can remember and they have also saved the lives of a few of my boys more than once.

Yes their training may not be up to the standard of an NHS equivalent, but the work they undertake is totaly different. Battlefield first aid is, by nature, much different from the work the NHS has to undertake. Often, because of the casualty's position within the battle space, it is almost impossible to do anything more constructive than to give them a drip and some morphine and wait for them to die.
That's exactly my point. They are trained to give what are probably otherwise fit and healthy men, probably the best treatment, for what they probably need, who would probably die without it. They work on "probably" as do the people that train them, which is OK on a battlefield because the alternative is probably death. It's an acceptable field expedient risk. But "probably" isn't anywhere near good enough for civvi street.

Often, it's more about apeasing the wants and needs of the guy's mates, who want something to be done and need to see it happen before they can move on to the next job that will get them shot.

It is more often the case that soldiers are patched up just enough to get them back to an aid post.
No argument.
I remember being taught on a civi first aid course not to use a tourniquet, yet, funnily enough, it was the only way I could stop one of my lads bleeding out after stepping on a land mine.
Again, another example of the difference between a battlefield and civvi street. First aiders should not be making life over limb decisions in this country. There are not that many situations in the UK, where a first aider would need to save someones life with a tourniquet and inappropriate use may needlessly cost someone thier limb. Exerting a lot of pressure will almost always be enough to stop them exsanguinating untill someone gets there. It's a big thing to decide to sacrifice someones limb in order to save their life and you should blimmin well know what you are doing, before doing it in the streets of britain. One the battlefield, well if you dont do it, who else will? Totally different context, responsibility and resources.
My point is this: The numpties you mention may not have any GCSE's or civilian equivalent qualifications, but they do have to pass an intelligence test and master the techniques they are taught. And these techniques have been tried and tested on people like me for quite a long time. Yes new techniques and ways of thinking come into popularity within civi street and the military medical community are often the last to adopt these changes, but sometimes it goes the other way. The Falklands War enabled military medical personnel to see the effects of cooling on a bleeding casualty's survival rate. They directly correlated this to the examples and data seen in the warm climate of Vietnam and they quickly realised the results. Next thing you know, the derigour way of treating a severe bleed is to cool the casualty to slow the blood flow and hence loss.

Sorry for the long post, and please don't take offence as would be all too easy.

Jackdaw

Yes, military battlefields are often places where pioneering techniques can be practiced that would not be allowed in hospitals. Sometimes they are adopted, but not always. Civvi hospitals cant "experiment" in the same way that can be done on a battlefield. Cyanoacrylate was developed for vietnam and is now used in hospitals. Quik-Clot is also under ratification for use in civillian hospitals.

My point is, military medical technicians take far, far more on thier shoulders in a battlefield, than they should ever consider doing in civvi street. They may be doing stuff, without really knowing why - they certainly dont have anything like the training you would need to make some of those decisions in civvi street - many of which would demand a doctor at least. It's appropriate for them to practice over thier heads in a battle field, because of the field expedient natuire of it, but it's not appropriate for them to practice like that on the streets of Britain. A telephone call will bring equipment and people who are fully trained and fully accountable. It would be extremely neglegent for a military medic to practice field expedient techniques on British civillians.

I have worked in a trauma intensive care unit for the last 7 years, I'm qualified, registered, accountable skilled and experienced. There is no way in hell I would take it upon myself to site a cannula and give Hartmans to a casualty on the street - or anywhere, because a telephone call will bring help in minutes, it's simply not needed. If I did, I'd probably loose my licence and the GNC would probably want to know why the hell I was travelling round with Hartmans and a venflon in my FAK.

Regarding qualifications, all nurses in the UK are qualified to a minimum of diploma level, many have degrees and many have several degrees. If a civillian trained nurse enters HM forces, it is as a commisioned officer. Depending on experience, it would be as either Lieutenant or Captain. Doctors would go in as either Captain or Major. This obviously isnt a relection of their military prowess, but reflects their qualifications, training, skills & experience.

Military medics are battlefield first aiders.

However, my numpty's comment was unfair and I apologise, I used it to deliberately over-state the point, but it was unfair. They do what they have to do under difficult conditions and it's a good job that they do. But you must realise that the stuff they do on a battlefield is way over and beyond anything they should be doing in the streets of Britain.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
stovie said:
Hypo. Tho' I'd rather carry 20mls 50% dex and give as a bolus (or hypostop gel, which is far less invasive).

i have to be honest (I'm in the trade as well) you won't find me carrying anything other than basic FAK.

Yes, hypoglycemia is one instance, where you would give sugar, but it's not so much an example of why you would choose dex/saline or 5% dex over n/saline as an infusion. As you say, first line would be some kind of glucose concentrate orally. Personally, I never give anything thicker that 10% dex IV, unless I have central access - though if there was no other option, needs must. I'd prolly try 50mls of 20% first though if the only access was peripheral.

Possibly more common would be hypovolemic shock. Almost by definition, hypovolemia causes hypernatremia by concentrating Na+, so adding more Na+ in the form of n/saline would jack up thier sodium levels. Better to give dex/saline, 5% dex or Hartmans. Hartmans is probably the safest bet if you are working blind, without biochem.

i agree with your last comment...accountability is such a big issue...

Yes it is, but I was also thinking about the poor buggers lying there.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I just want to say first off, my father has recently retired from the RAMC as a senior officer partly responsible for the training of 'Numpty's' in the Army. He is now providing training for NHS numptys in civilian life.

IMHO I think you went a bit over the top, I feel that I can say this when you consider that when my diabetic wife was rushed into hospital, I was effectively having to inform the medical team how to treat her and give them regular BM readings. This was not because I am a nightmare relative, but put simply the staff weren't sure how the BM machine worked so I was having to use her own kit. In addition to which I've around with my old man long enough to see whatt the training they receive is like and actually how good these guys are.

That said I do agree with you that collecting a full medics kit is probably over kill and I think this thread probably says it all http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13018

P.S. don't worry about correcting any of my spelling! ;) :D

Pib

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Team medics are no longer taught how to give fluids using IV's, (something to do with a study carried out on pigs where the same amount survived regardless of whether they were given fluids or not, as long as they were triaged (sp) correctly) They no longer carry hartmanns, only the likes of medicall corps personnel do. I agree with your point that there are hardly any places in the UK where anyone other than a para medic or a doctor/nurse would need to use this method. What is practiced on the battle, as you said martyn, is used as a last resort to save life and there are not that many times a civvi first aider would find themselves in that situation.

Brian

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
OK pib, I'll apologise again. Sorry for the numpty's comment.

But military medics should not be cannulating and starting IV's on civilians - it's utterly and totally inappropriate.

Military medicine is for the army and the battlefield and has no business in civillian life.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I abolsutely agree! One the the best bits of kit you can stick in your FAK is a good quality phone! :beerchug:

Sticking people isn't clever, it's also :censored: heavy humping all that stuff around.

To be honest I'm surprised you can even buy this stuff, but then we are talking the internet! :eek:

Pib

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Martyn said:
Yes, hypoglycemia is one instance,......though if there was no other option, needs must. I'd prolly try 50mls of 20% first though if the only access was peripheral.

Yes it is, but I was also thinking about the poor buggers lying there.

Apologies Martyn, answered in a hurry, figures wrong way round. 50 mls 20% dex is appropriate peripherally.

i also agree with your other last statement :D

Hartmans is an excellent treatment when working without U&Es, but it's not really bushcraft...is it?

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
As far as I can tell stotRE was asking about a FAK for him and his family. If he feels he has the experience and training to use an IV then I see no problem with that at all. You may not think there ever would be a time when you would use and IV, but you do not know what stotRE gets up to.

I am trained in first aid, at work and also through diving, I am a rescue diver. We were always told never to give medication. I would not dream of doing so to a stranger, but my family is another matter. If my Childs life were hanging in the balance I would not hesitate to use all the resources and knowledge at my disposal. As already pointed out, a qualification does not always mean you know what you are doing. I know how to do many things well, that I don’t have a qualification for.

I was in the scouts and I was taught to be prepared. I would rather have something and not use it, than not have something when I really need it.

I understand some of your views; I don’t believe anyone should have something in an FAK they have no idea how to use, that is asking for trouble. A mobile phone is essential as well, but not if your miles from anywhere, and the situation is dire.

You are not going to get sued by your family, and even if that were the case I would gladly proceed if I were sure it would save a life.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You might not get sued by your Family, but you will certainly be questioned in A+E regarding this treatment and your qualifications for using it.

It would almost certainly then be referred to the Police.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
There is no law against doing that. The person could try to prosecute you for assualt, but your family are not going to do that.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE