happy hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Well Done Mate!!

I might give this a try....you used elder for the drill, did you do anything to it? remove the bark? or pith? also you used paletwood.....is it treated the same as the hearth for the bow drill? and what other wood could be used instead of paletwood with the elder hand drill?

Cheers

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Nice one Jason ! Now tell us how big your blisters are... :p

I've only managed one ember with the hand drill, and my hands didn't forgive me for it for days afterwards :lmao:

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Congrats. I tried the movement only. No serious attempts with the right diameter spindle yet. I like to try it myself...., once.... I know it is going to hurt. Very well done!

Lush

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
gave it an other try yesterday evening.
Only got as far as burning in before the good old mid-hand blister started showing off again. I've got quite a big callus hump there from working with hand tools that gets knocked around a lot with this technique.

this sucks!!

now I need to wait for the next efford.

Bob

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
jon r said:
Its always the blisters that stop me. I wonder if there is a way to prevent them?

Does heat and sweaty hands make blisters more frequent?

Good question. It's not hard to see that continuously wet hands will result in softer skin. But then again; not many ppl. of us would be able to use this technique in pooring rain or the jungle.

I wonder if Ray Mear's hands did hurt a lot when he showed it on tv, lol. I am sure you would have to do it a lot to get your skin get used to it.

Lush

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Seoras said:
Well done mate, it is worth the effort as you now know.

George
Cheers George for the set. Sorry, the hearth is poplar not pallet wood and the drill is elder. My hands are not too bad, have been having a days rest from it so not to damage them. But will not stop until I have mastered it. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE