handrill below zero - dedicated to Rich59

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Rich is fantastic at this stuff... I often spend time "looking in" on his workshops at the moot, but have never managed to get some time sat down... Maybe this year :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rich is fantastic at this stuff... I often spend time "looking in" on his workshops at the moot, but have never managed to get some time sat down... Maybe this year :D

You gotta do it Dave - remember the feeling of achieving bowdrill - well the feeling you get after hand-drill is even better. Rich coaxed me through it two or three years ago - it was like being a kid again.

Rich59 :You_Rock_

Ogri the trog

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Excellent work there Stuart .... and Rich is a fine teacher and has taught me a few things in my time at the moots ... i remember having to re-write our OCN course due to his knowledge of using wet tinder. I had always taught that tinder must be bone dry to use .... boy was i proved wrong :) .... you live and learn as they say.

Ed

ps .... get a hair cut stuart .... you'll be looking like me soon :p

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I've got to get this this year, it has eluded me for far too long! I have had limited success, so I have been gathering materials (cat tail stems, teasel, burdock, etc) for the hand drill and loads of stuff for the bow drill (I have no problems with bow drill, I am making sets up for other people) and hope to get it cracked soon. The materials are drying in the garage, but come the good weather I'll stick them in the sun to bake them dry!

I hear mullein is the top stuff for hand drill, where the helldo you find it and what does it look like?!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I just found this about mullein:

http://corditecountryshownotes.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/mullein/

And this part really made me smile!

Women who were forbidden to use make-up for religious reasons rubbed the rough leaves of this rubrifacient on their cheeks, to create a beautiful red flush. People who spend time in the woods are attracted to mullein’s large, velvety leaves when they run out of toilet paper, again creating a beautiful red flush on their cheeks.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hi at the outdoors show one of the guys was using a hand drill and i was very impressed its something i want to get under my belt this year...

can any suggest other good woods for the drill (easily obtainable from broadleafed forests) and what wood is best for the plate. I would have asked the guy but he was mobbed with kids at the time. I take it the hand drill has to be bone dry and hardened ?

the only thing i overheard was that you need to find a piece of wood as straight as possible

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
hi at the outdoors show one of the guys was using a hand drill and i was very impressed its something i want to get under my belt this year...

can any suggest other good woods for the drill (easily obtainable from broadleafed forests) and what wood is best for the plate. I would have asked the guy but he was mobbed with kids at the time. I take it the hand drill has to be bone dry and hardened ?

the only thing i overheard was that you need to find a piece of wood as straight as possible

Cat tail works on lime and willow, look for the rushes by the waters edge with a massive "sausage" at the top. I've got real close with these. Elder also works as a drill and you can use burdock and teasel too. Clematis will work as a base board, elder too. I think there was a list compiled by a guy who used to go on the forums (He passed away unfortunately) and he had spent loads of time using different drills and boards to find out the best combinations. If somebody has a link, it would be very helpful to all.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
in respect to elder i trust you mean the main branches not the pithy shoots that sprout up? as i imagine they would just crumble. From all the elders i have seen they are never very straight apart from the aforementioned shoots..

what about a bamboo cane?

failing that i know where i can get some cats tails locally how long will they take to dry out ? a full season or jsut a few months in the greenhouse

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE