hand drill advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi folks. Locally I have a few patches of cattails, and I really fancy a go at the hand drill after successfully using the bow drill a few times now. I'm after recommendations for hearthboard wood species, and any general advice for the hand drill is welcome.

Thanks

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Try a clematis hearth board with an elder drill,I have tried this and got smoke but no ember,but I do know that it works.i have also tried using a mullein drill,I haven't tried for a while.I need to work on my technique.Good luck.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks ocean 1975 and leshy. I'll give willow a go first and let you know how I get on. I've been planning to collect some anyway for use as bow drill.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well, thought I would update as I have given it my first attempt. I harvested some willow and cattail, a rather nice metre long drill about 13mm at the thickest end. After cutting a depression I started drilling. 3 mins or so in I thought nothing was happening, then I started to hear a squeak, I could see the point of the drill and the depression starting to shape and go shiny. 5 mins later I was starting to see the depression turn brown, so I really gave it some, and managed a good bit of smoke and dust, but alas no ember. I was knackered so gave it up for another day.

Part of me is thinking if I had started with a well fitting depression and point that I might have succeeded. I'll be trying again this this week probably. Hands are a little sore now though!!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks. I won't be giving up, but I won't be trying again until my hands are in better shape- I tried again today and managed 30 seconds, then it felt like my hands were on fire. To be fair my palms looked like embers!

Is it possible with gloves?

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Thanks. I won't be giving up, but I won't be trying again until my hands are in better shape- I tried again today and managed 30 seconds, then it felt like my hands were on fire. To be fair my palms looked like embers!

Is it possible with gloves?
you bet it is...i often use gloves when doing the hand drill...leather...tight...single layer...here is a vid of me using leather gloves with the hand drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWb3c3oP20
hope that helps a bit...i am using mullien and clematis in the vid,...atb...woods

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks woodsrunner, great vid. Looks like you have a great area. Wish we had some decent snow in the winter.

I had another crack at it last night, willow hearth and cattail drill, tried to smooth the drill out a little more with the knife which helped. Used gloves too, but they were just some clumsy gardening gloves. Managed smoke again but I wore out very quickly! I'll try again soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE