Hammock - Single Line Suspension

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Hi Guys,

Am hoping that someone can help. I have been looking at the single line suspension mod for my DD Frontline and was wondering what the difference between Amsteel 2.5mm and 3mm Dyneema cord (apart from the 0.5 mm). Is the Dyneema cord a suitable replacement? as this seems to be alot cheaper (not always a good thing i know) and easier to get hold of too.

Cheers

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Which dyneema 3mm cord are you asking about? there are many :)

If its hollow braid Dyneema from one of the reputable manufacturers then it will be good as a replacement.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Here's mine, I used 3mm amsteel from a boating shop. It's got a core and is a pig to adjust on the cloves.... But I don't need to adjust it after its set :D
b26b3378-e4bd-05a7.jpg

b26b3378-e4ee-cba8.jpg

Cost? 21 quid for 50foot and two rings :thumbup:
Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No mate, not suitable. That stuff is polyester sheathed.

Its needs to be single braid dyneema;

Amsteel blue
English braids dynamic line 2mm
Marlow D12
I know liros do some hollow braid, as do lots of others. Try the rope locker for good prices. Or if you svelte, you could push it and get away with Stein throwline 2.2mm -its less than 50p/m on the roll. UKhammocks sell Amsteel too.

Expect to pay a £1/m or there abouts for any of it.

Edit; just noticed you said you weren't wanting to splice it into a UCR. In that case, sheathed is fine. If your no behemoth, you could probably get away with that line but be aware that a knot will weaken the line by a lot and will be pushing it right to its limit. You may have to double up (as Chiseler has neatly done) which makes it as expensive as amsteel but much heavier.

Last edited:

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Think i'll just take the hit and order 15 m of amsteel blue from DD Hammocks, looks like the cheapest i can find anywhere at the moment. Great setup Chiseller, exactly what i'm looking to replicate, where did you get your rope & rings from mate if you don't mind me asking?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Boat-bits dingy Huddersfield
If tha Google that, you'll get their details.

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE