Hammock Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I keep flirting with the idea of a hammock.
But just not sure how comfy they are, and it's a lot of money to spend on just finding out.
Now, one of things I don't like about the look of a hammock is how it seems to wrap up along the sides too tightly,making the enclosed look like a fly in a spider's web.
Now, a conventional hammock usually has a wooden bracing along the top and bottom edge, to keep the hammock material wide. And they look considerably more comfy to me.
So, has anyone tried inserting a pole along the top and bottom edge of their DD Hammock (or whatever) and then attached the hammock to the tree by tying the ropes to the ends of the pole, to keep the hammock wider?
Does that make sense?
Cheers for your thoughts and opinions.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Never felt the need for it. Stick some rolled up clothes under your head for a pillow and they'll hold the hammock open. Or you could try a Hennessy, which lies flat anyway. The most important thing is to get a test drive or two, you need to find out what suits you. Hennessy's are like Marmite, you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I think they're wonderful, I find the Clark a little more comfortable but not so good for 'mobile' camping, and I never got on with the DD.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The best advice would be to borrow one if you can. I've found some of the smaller nylon models to be a little constrictive but you do get used to it. For maximum comfort the Nomads Land XXL is hard to beat.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've never felt the need to use spreader bars on my GB hammock.
From what I've read, doing so only increases the liklihood of you being tipped out as it raises the centre of the material dangerously close to the height of the sides.
As for comfort, my hammock is more comfy than my King sized bed upstairs! If things are getting frought through lack of sleep due to nocturnal visits from children, I have been known to have a night or two outside in the hammock!

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

I started off using the issue hammock, which has spreader bars.

Basically the spreader bars turn it into a slingshot. Due to the fact that I used to tend to sleep like a mummy (totally immobile), I didn't have problem once I was on the hammock, but getting on and off was a feat of manual dexterity, co-ordination and cunning (the thing had a mind of it's own and an evil sense of humour to boot) which could quite easily leave you looking a fool. For all that though, they were fun :D

Later I moved to using a Thai hammock (pretty much what the original DD Hammocks were), there is a marked difference. They can be strung as taught as you desire, for me very taught as I offset my pelvis a few years ago. I find it more comfortable than most any bed.

As the others have said get out and about and try a few to see what you think.:)

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I honestly don't think you should worry about the spreader bars. you'll most likely find it more comfortable than your bed upstairs. I have a similar tale as Ogri.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
As others have said give a couple a try but you'll be amazed at how comfortable hammocks are. My 1st night in a hammock should have been a disaster because I'd put it up in the dark when I was too tired to think straight and ended up with my **** on the floor when I got in. I slept better than I had in years! You'll be lying there wondering if you could rig a hammock in your bedroom before you know it! Or is that just me? :D

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
To add to the debate, whats the going rate for a hennessy explorer deluxe asym in the UK? I am close to/above the standard weight limit for the explorer.

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
Buy a DD hammock. Cheap as chips and the best outdoors sleeping there is. Oh and I'm at or above the weight limit for everything (just as well I'm 12ft tall).

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I have a DD camping hammock and I have never had any problems with it, seeing as it's winter and I dont like camping when it's cold its just sitting in my wardrobe not being used. If you want I'll post it to you and you can have a play around with it etc see what you think then it saves you buying one? providing ofcourse you return it in full working order :pirate: :beerchug: (have no doubts you would :))

:hammock: :campfire:

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:rolleyes: If you don't like being confinded, then perhaps hammocks aren't for you. On the other hand, they keep the wind off, while you're reading.

TGB

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Must admit, first time in a hammock for me the other day, no where to rig it at home so rigged it in the back of the works van (transit). Pleasantly surprised at how well it fitted in there and how comfy it is.

I can see it staying in the van for those siesta's :D

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
A few months ago I bought a Trekmates hammock for £7:99p from TK Maxx just to see if I could take to them.....and I'm a bit claustrophobic, put it up in the back garden, loved it, I'll be getting a DD in the near future.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Check out the ticket to the moon site. A double hammock is nice and roomy for one. Prices are good. Ships very quick to the Uk. Never had a VAT charge.

They make the hammocks for ENO and many others.

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have a DD camping hammock and I have never had any problems with it, seeing as it's winter and I dont like camping when it's cold its just sitting in my wardrobe not being used. If you want I'll post it to you and you can have a play around with it etc see what you think then it saves you buying one? providing ofcourse you return it in full working order :pirate: :beerchug: (have no doubts you would :))
:hammock: :campfire:

Tremendously kind offer.
However, I have one coming for Christmas, so I'll be able to try my own in a couple of weeks!
Cheers once again, though.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Remember that you will probably be cold without an underblanket. Because you compress your sleeping bag beneath you, you will feel every gust of wind and loose a lot of heat. Easiest way to solve this is a thermarest mat beneath you, or, if you like hammocking, an unerblanket.

Just wanted to warn you ahead so you don't get dissapointed by a cold back!

And as said before, if you take a Ticket to the Moon hammock (same as the group buy hammock), it all depends on how tight you string it up. Strung tight it will enclose you. Strung much looser you can lie in it diagonally and you won't be covered by the fabric.

And Hennessy Hammocks have tie-outs which gives you a fairly broad areau to move around in and it will never enclose you.

For more info, www.hammockforums.net is the very best site to look at.

Good luck and happy hanging!

PS: a DD is not for everyone, I personally dislike them because they are flat but tippy. So try another type again of you don't like a DD. I'm glad i did!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Must admit, first time in a hammock for me the other day, no where to rig it at home so rigged it in the back of the works van (transit). Pleasantly surprised at how well it fitted in there and how comfy it is.

I can see it staying in the van for those siesta's :D

You don't work for Leeds City refuse collection do you ? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE