Hammock and tarp Length?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2019
Wales
I started hammock camping at the end of last year, I purchased a DD 3x3 tarp and a super light frontline hammock, I I'm happy with my knots my tarp and ridge lineset up, how ever I keep getting shoulder squeeze and the hammock keeps inclosing me to much and I cant get much of a diagonal lay.

After trying different hammock hights, angles, various amounts of slack and bruising the web I am still having the same issue.

I have read online an 11ft hammock could solve the issue i am 5ft 10 would an 11 foot hammock fit under a 3x3 tarp?

I am open to any other options or opinions.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have fallen in love with hammock camping.

Many thanks

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I had a tenth wonder xl ul hammock ( until a sharp thing put a rip in it and I ended up on the floor) at 2.8 m long 1.4 m wide it was plenty big enough for me (5 10 ish as well) although I can get away with a shorter / wider one. I've got some homemade ones which I think are around 2.6 m long 1.8 m wide. I've found a 3m tarp a little small in bad wind driven weather. I got a TW Sargasso tarp IIRC it's about 4.2 m long and quite narrow something like 2.6 maybe.

Although having said this I'm playing with my jerven bag as a enclosed cocoon and doing away with a tarp as a lighter weight option. It may or may not work...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Both would be better bigger unfortunately mate. I'd go with a hammock upgrade first and rig the 3x3 on the diagonal.

A simple gathered end 11 foot hammock with ridgeline will be much more roomy than DD stuff

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have used DD's for years and the shoulder squeeze was not an issue for me. I would tuck the sleeping bag quilt down the sides and sleep like a babe. I was then talked into a fixed ridge line for the DD and did feel the difference, moving to much more of a diag lay. Soon after I had the funds to get an "Easy Hammock" and have not looked back. The amount of space in it was a game changer for me. It is a whole new level of comfort. For the price I have nothing bad to say about DD but the "Easy" is so roomy I now use a Pod style bag.
I also have a 4 x 4 DD tarp and the extra room over a 3 by 3 seems so much more then the simple numbers would have you think. The extra 5 square metres is all usable space!

For a cheap fix try a fixed ridge line on the DD, it will make a diag lay easier, if you wallet will reach, get an Easy Hammock.

May 17, 2019
Wales
Thanks for all your replys, I just had a look at easy hammocks website I like the look of there classic hammock as I will be using an under blanket without a roll matt, I have looked at many differant hammock companies with the veiw to change hammocks and these seem to look spot on.

Did you opt for the standard or xl easy hammock?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Did you opt for the standard or xl easy hammock?
I am about 5ft 4inch. I asked for the XL but Matt advised me that it would offer me no advantage, indeed if the bug net was fully unzipped it would just be further to reach !! He was right, the standard length works great for me. I do not tend to move around in my hammock which, I think, is why the DD never presented a problem. Having said that, the amount of room the Easy offers has changed how I settle down, I still find the amount of room strange in a good way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE