Greetings from Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, all.
I only found this introductions forum after I'd been on here a while, so I'm a little bit late introducing myself.

I'm Alan. I've been doing this stuff for too many years, but when I started, it wasn't called Bushcraft, it was called "too skint to buy proper kit". (I still use tin cans as cooking pots and stoves occasionally, just for old times sake.)

I'm the last Traditional Ratcatcher in Manchester, which means I use traps and snares on a daily basis. Handy if the food runs out!

I hope I meet some of you soon because even though I've been doing this for a very long time, there's always something new to learn.

Alan.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Welcome, Alan. Have you tried the Nooski trap? I bought one but by then my resident rat had already died from the poison I'd put out whilst waiting for delivery

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Yes, I have two Nooski's for special jobs. They are the only rat-trap that's safe to use in places where there are toddlers, because they are finger-safe. They also have the advantage that you don't have to extract a squishy rat carcase from between powerful spring-loaded trap jaws. Keep hold of yours, because if you've had one rat, another may follow.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Nice to hear a professional using one! I bought it as didn't want poison about with a toddler & dog roaming free. Even in a bait box - I've caught the dog with a dead rat in his mouth. I also wanted to see the evidence!

I remember my father telling me how he once called in a team of ratters to a pub cellar that was "alive with rats". They lost 2 dogs... :(

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What bait do you use in the Nooski? I was using peanut butter but haven't caught anything yet. I suppose you could use them to catch squirrels too with a few nuts inside

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
What bait do you use in the Nooski? I was using peanut butter but haven't caught anything yet. I suppose you could use them to catch squirrels too with a few nuts inside

The best bait in any trap is to identify what the target is eating already, and then use that if you can. Try to place the baited trap in the same place as the original food source, and don't forget, rats are neophobic, so they won't enter the trap until they get used to it. I also use baited but unset traps to get them used to feeding from the trap before I set it.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
welcome to the group. why dont you post some photos of you working they would be intresting to see.

By the nature of the job, I don't have much in the way of photos of me at work, but I'll see if I can sort something out. Unfortunately having a photographer following me about would be difficult, and it might put some clients off if they thought there might be anything in the pictures that could identify them. Some people are very touchy about who knows they have a pest problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE