Green Timber a plea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi everyone
So Imagine the scene, I have made a new dining table , Now need to make some chairs
Therefore the plan for the summer is to build a pole lathe (already underway pictures to follow)
However,
I need some greenwood ( hopefully without incurring any expense !!!!)
I’m in Warwickshire but don’t mind travelling can anybody help
Yours gratefully
Gary

Nb Mods sorry if this is in the wrong section

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unless you pick the skills up a lot faster than me you'll need plenty of wood to practice on before you manage to turn all the legs, runners and rails you'll need :)

Also, don't forget, a pole lathe is virtually useless without a shave horse - the material needs to be as round as possible before it goes on the lathe or it's very tiring.

(sorry, I've presumed you've not used a pole lathe before as you're building one and, of course, that may be totally wrong!)

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Unless you pick the skills up a lot faster than me you'll need plenty of wood to practice on before you manage to turn all the legs, runners and rails you'll need :)

Also, don't forget, a pole lathe is virtually useless without a shave horse - the material needs to be as round as possible before it goes on the lathe or it's very tiring.

(sorry, I've presumed you've not used a pole lathe before as you're building one and, of course, that may be totally wrong!)

Hi Broch
Thanks for the tips
Built me a shave horse about 2 years ago and have plethora of draw knives and spokeshaves etc all well used
Also have a powered lathe and have been turning stuff on and off for years
I’m looking forward to the learning experience of the pole lathe
Gaz

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There you go then :)

I'm still at the very early stages of learning this craft and frequently ruin a piece (by digging in) just before it's finished :(

BTW, is that a springer on the front of the canoe?

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
There you go then :)

I'm still at the very early stages of learning this craft and frequently ruin a piece (by digging in) just before it's finished :(

BTW, is that a springer on the front of the canoe?

Hi
Yep it is a springer or sadly was ! We lost her just over 2 1/2 years ago she was the third springer we’ve had and a fantastic dog so good we couldn’t bring ourselves to have another spaniel so we are now the very proud owners of a Hungarian Vizsla
Thanks for asking
Gaz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE