Great New Knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have recently discovered a new knot which for me has made the evenk knot totally redundant

I now use it for tying hammocks, basha's etc (everything i used to use the evenk for)

its quicker to tie, uses only one hand (you dont even support the rope with the other hand :shock: at no point does your other hand touch the rope) and is quick release

Its called the falconers knot and is used by falconers to tie off their falcons, it is totally one handed to tie and release (because they have a falcon in the other hand :-D )

the only draw back i can see with this knot is that you cant tie it whilst wearing mittens (but then how often do i wear mittens)

I have been searching the web to try and find a diagram of the knot to put up in this post but i cant find one, if anyone finds a diagram please put it up

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The photos on there aren't the clearest. I believe I have a .jpg diagram of this on my laptop. When I get home I'll have a look and post it on here for those who don't like pdfs.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
The Falconers Knot was the first thing my mate taught me years ago when I started to learn about training Hawks with him.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
They are both in Rays book Essential Bushcraft.
Evenk slippery figure-of-eight hitch (the one handed one) p137
Evenk overhand hitch (two handed knot) p158
I don't have pics or diagrams.... sorry

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks Ed! Didn't think of looking there!
Nothing to be found on the 'Net on it!
Ed said:
They are both in Rays book Essential Bushcraft.
Evenk slippery figure-of-eight hitch (the one handed one) p137
Evenk overhand hitch (two handed knot) p158
I don't have pics or diagrams.... sorry

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Clever knot that evenk knot ... very similar to the falconer's knot. I wonder which is the strongest? I'd hazard a guess taht it'st he falconer's because there are fewer twists.

Stuart - how are you finding it for a hammock?

Thanks!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
The pdf showing the Falconers knot looks very similar to the one I know as the highwaymans hitch, anyone know if they are the same?
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
The Higwaymans is dead easy to tie one handed and strong enough to hold a horse, thats where its name is from and it is still used for tieing neddies up.
David

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
dtalbot said:
The pdf showing the Falconers knot looks very similar to the one I know as the highwaymans hitch, anyone know if they are the same?
David

No i've just tried out the Highwaymans hitch and its a different knot
(i havent found a way to tie the highwaymans hitch with one hand, is there a way?)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Highwaymans one handed is just down to practice I think, I've been using them for 20 years plus so its sort of automatic, but I'll try and work out a description!
David

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Just tried the highwaymans hitch. No problem to tie, but when I pulled hard in the secure rope, it sort of "snapped" and went into a new position, but it seemed secure enough still. :confused:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
With the highwayman's hitch, its important to tighten each separate loop as you pass it through, or sle they all move and you end up with a more unrecogniseable tangle - this will be as secure, but won't release as smoothly when you pull on the standing part.

If you want to put a 'safety' onto a highwayman's hitch, then tuck the standing part loosely through the final loop - that way if it does slip for any reason you'll end up with a caught part of the knot. Just remember to remove it before pulling if you want a quick release!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Wow! That's the knot I have used for pretty much everything since i was a sprog-didn't know it had a name. I even tie my laces with a quick release knot. Didn't realise it could be done single handed though-must try that.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Great link Joff - Martin showed me this in Sweden (he uses it on his basha) and I've been fumbling around ever since trying to remember it. Now.....off to the garage to practice.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE