Gransfors splitting hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Well last weekend I finally gave up resisting the urge to buy another axe! I really like the Gransfors kit and decided I'd try their splitting hatchet. I was thinking a fireside tool to knock up kindling.

What a beast it is! I couldn't help nipping out in the garden and hitting a few more sizeable logs and I was amazed at just what it can do. I've always been a maul man, I have their maul too, but I think this thing will be seeing far more use.

How does it fare up around camp? I have a couple of their small axes/hatchets but I can't help but think that this would be better. It's probably sharp enough to cut with. Slower I expect but capable I would have thought?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Take a look at their Outdoor axe. Its kinda half splitting hatchet, half wildlife hatchet. Useful little axe.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well last weekend I finally gave up resisting the urge to buy another axe! I really like the Gransfors kit and decided I'd try their splitting hatchet. I was thinking a fireside tool to knock up kindling.

What a beast it is! I couldn't help nipping out in the garden and hitting a few more sizeable logs and I was amazed at just what it can do. I've always been a maul man, I have their maul too, but I think this thing will be seeing far more use.

How does it fare up around camp? I have a couple of their small axes/hatchets but I can't help but think that this would be better. It's probably sharp enough to cut with. Slower I expect but capable I would have thought?
Could I ask you to clarify your question?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Edges for efficient splitting are not edges for cutting across the wood fiber. A wood splitting maul is a fine but gross example.
A splitting edge is positively dull because you need the wood to break open ahead of the bevel edge as a wedge.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have carved bows and created tables, stools and numerous other greenwood items with my GB small splitting axe. I have lots of axes I generally just use the one nearest at the time.

A proper sharp edge and an understanding of the tool is more important that having the perfect axe.

The perfect axe in my opinion is the one nearest that will get the job done. Although I don’t use my Nic Westermann for splitting.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Could I ask you to clarify your question?

I'm wondering if anyone has used it to cut as well as split wood? I appreciate it's not perfect for the job, but it feels very sharp and the edge isn't all that wedge shaped.

As much as an axe for splitting isn't efficient for cutting, a cutting hatchet as fine as the Gransfors does tend to get stuck a lot when splitting. I'm not sure if it's easier to hit a log a few more times when trying to notch it for example than it is to keep having to free the hatchet from the end grain when splitting? Wayne has nudged me in the right direction, it can perform other functions and that's good to hear. I guess the best way to find out is to get out there and try it?!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It is good to have pictures of what is being discussed.

439-minsta-klyvyxa-1024x730.jpg

"It is forged and ground to a concave, quite thin blade at the bit. The axe cuts quickly and easily into the wood and then effectively splits it as the broader section pushes apart the wood. "
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-splitting-hatchet/

So sounds like you could cut with it, if you sharpen it, and in this case, sharpening it will have little negative effect upon its ability to split. A dull splitting maul it is not. As you say, best for you, who have the tool, to get out and try it. Certainly better than taking the advice of folk on-line who have never handled or used the particular tool in question ;)

Reactions: chas brookes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE