going feral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
hi for some time i longed to live free from money and all that comes with it . so i have chosen to live life in the wild of England living off the land free from the society normal way of thinking that you need to be in a house with all the mod cons stressed that the bills are not being paid on time and have i got money to pay them and eat.going to work for long hours to find out I'm taking less home after tax . well I've had all i can take of it I'm going wild my plane is to live of the free things in life wild fruits ,meat and anything that can be got free without
stiling it off someone. the way I'm going to do this is take a rucksack with all i need a knife for food prep a tarp for cover a pair of good boots and fire starting kit. i will hunt and forage for food any adive for me would be welcomed

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
hi for some time i longed to live free from money and all that comes with it . so i have chosen to live life in the wild of England living off the land free from the society normal way of thinking that you need to be in a house with all the mod cons stressed that the bills are not being paid on time and have i got money to pay them and eat.going to work for long hours to find out I'm taking less home after tax . well I've had all i can take of it I'm going wild my plane is to live of the free things in life wild fruits ,meat and anything that can be got free without
stiling it off someone. the way I'm going to do this is take a rucksack with all i need a knife for food prep a tarp for cover a pair of good boots and fire starting kit. i will hunt and forage for food any adive for me would be welcomed

When do you start ?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good luck with it wildmanuk....

Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself, what kind of experience you have, have you ever done this before for a short period of time etc? Also apart from foraging for edible plants on public lands how are you going to provide yourself with meat (that is if you eat meat)?

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
If you get a chance before you go, borrow a copy of "The moneyless man" by Mark Boyle. It is a recent title so should be in libraries (that's where I borrowed it from). Mark Boyle set out to live for a year money free through foraging, dumpster diving/skipping, work in exchange for lodging and good will. he did very well finding himself a local farm that let him live in an old caravan in exchange for a bit of work about the place. He foraged a good deal of his food and used a rocket stove to cook with and heat the caravan. He is a bit of a political animal and did it to raise awareness of the possibility of a cashless society, which is something he is now working on, so it is worth bearing that in mind when reading the book. It is a good read, highly entertaining and gives the reader a lot of good ideas and inspiration. Worth a try at the very least.

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
Well I have over 15 years or so of bushcraft started when I was about 14 did not go well then pick up some books on survival and went from there. Well the meat problem would come in to play the way I see it I can kill it but it would not be legal to do it the way I’m thinking Bigger game as in deer would be the problem for me only way would be Crossbow or bow but that’s a no go as far as the law says same with large traps. Most farmers have let me hunt on their land in the past for rabbit’s squirrel. so as you can see larger meat sources would be the problem and that is what I would need for the winter mouths only other way is hope for road kill or go with somewhere close to the sea for the fish as u don’t need a licences for sea fishing .

Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
Know about him not read the book as for bin raiding supermarkets bin there done that was homeless for some years and I was thinking more of being able to move round some of the year not suck in one place but thanks
If you get a chance before you go, borrow a copy of "The moneyless man" by Mark Boyle. It is a recent title so should be in libraries (that's where I borrowed it from). Mark Boyle set out to live for a year money free through foraging, dumpster diving/skipping, work in exchange for lodging and good will. he did very well finding himself a local farm that let him live in an old caravan in exchange for a bit of work about the place. He foraged a good deal of his food and used a rocket stove to cook with and heat the caravan. He is a bit of a political animal and did it to raise awareness of the possibility of a cashless society, which is something he is now working on, so it is worth bearing that in mind when reading the book. It is a good read, highly entertaining and gives the reader a lot of good ideas and inspiration. Worth a try at the very least.

Good luck!

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
this is somthing i done when i was younger for a while bit of a eye opener but utterly fantastic experience in life
hope all goes well with you
we had a car and built benders to live in traveled round the uk for 12 months there abouts working and getting by where we could loved it

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
You might want to start this thing a bit more slowly. A few years back I joined WWOOF International (google it for their site).

I ended up on a self sufficient farm up in the Pyranees Orientale - totally off grid for all utilities, run by a mad Luddite, a half hour trek from the nearest single track.

It was slightly medieval. Very tough going but enjoyable.

There are a lot of similar "eccentrics" with similar farms around the whole of that area always welcoming volunteers - could be a useful way of gaining the life experiences you are seeking.

Alex

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Into the Wild springs to mind. . . Personally I wouldn't put myself (or those left behind) through the stress and worry and hardship. Its your choice. When you get back to civilisation let us know how you got on. Best of luck mate. Keep safe

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Best of luck, rather than relying on the land you could adopt the principles of Heidemarie Schwermer - 'Gib und Nimm', which has enabled her to live without money for years.

AndyM65

Mar 16, 2011
Coventry
Hi wildmanuk,

I too wish you all the best, it would be nice to hear how you are getting on so log on when you can.

Regards

AndyM

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
best of luck to you mate, i did somthing similar with my best mate and girlfreind last sept to november, was a great experience.
my advice would be to keep the camp clean (its an absaloute pain in the preverbial when its messy) also keep a low profile as dog walkers can often assume the worse and things could end badly. if you can get your hands on a woodburner i would also say that would be definatly worthwile, keep a good knowlege on wild edible's, get a good strong catapult, we used ours to take out pigeons for food, also make sure you stock up on medical supplies, we had afew accidents whilst we where living out, including a severed finger.
another thing i would consider is a wind up mobile phone charger, makes things alot easier when you can call for help.

Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
best of luck to you mate, i did somthing similar with my best mate and girlfreind last sept to november, was a great experience.
my advice would be to keep the camp clean (its an absaloute pain in the preverbial when its messy) also keep a low profile as dog walkers can often assume the worse and things could end badly. if you can get your hands on a woodburner i would also say that would be definatly worthwile, keep a good knowlege on wild edible's, get a good strong catapult, we used ours to take out pigeons for food, also make sure you stock up on medical supplies, we had afew accidents whilst we where living out, including a severed finger.
another thing i would consider is a wind up mobile phone charger, makes things alot easier when you can call for help.
Meds were one of the thing I thought of its tricky thou thinking what I may need and keeping weight down a last time was ok for me the only real problem was water and weight of equipment got to me after some time as for kids got none single and free got a solar charge for phone which will charge other thing if needed too. one idea was grow some greens myself and let some seed like cabbages will take two year but it can be do pickle what I cannot eat for later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE