Gelert fireflash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I was in town today and in a mountaineering shop (kudos) and they were selling these thin gelert (key size) ferro rods (?), i bought one, of course, but i am slightly disbelieving of its ability to make fire, has anyone got one, do they measure up to the fireflash one, you know....that one!

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gelert stuff tends to vary wildly from quite good to awful ... and I say that given that a lot of it comes from my neck of the woods.

I've never tried one so I can't comment (never seen one in fact) so I'd suggest you experiment ... and let us know what it's like!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
i agree, they can make some good, cheap stuff. But some of it is completely useless.
I just tried it on some cotton wool, that went first strike. Then some iron wool, so did that. Then some tissue, it took a few, but it eventually went.

I suppose it was a bit stupid of me to ask the quesion without tying it out (duh).

Well, i'd recomend it. it is super thin and light, about 0.5 cm in diameter.
But the question lies whether it will light on natural tinders that are harder to get going (ie birch bark :banghead: , dont get me started on birch bark!)

Oh well, guys, if you see one, buy it. Its only £2.99!

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
how much is it on ebay? I still haven't succeeded with char cloth. The tool seems ok, very small, thats what i like. But i wonder how long it will last!

Cheers,

Jake

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i messed mine up after using it when it was wet but it seems to have calmed down and doesn't ware away as much anymore but it doesn't throw as many sparks either. for lighting char cloth i drag the cloth with the knife or scraper. hold cloth between knife and rod with edge facng the way you will strike. then lift the knife edge holding cloth to the knife keep knife at about 45 degrees t the rod and it works just about every time

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
he way i see it ive made two mistakes that i will learn from but with little cost. i can carry this little one around with me (i tend to light bumsun burners a lot) and know what mistakes not to make with a army or scout model

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Think I've got one of these on my keys that goes everywhere with me as part of my PSK. It's key sized and got a small saw blade as a striker, right?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have the same one.

I recall seeing a replacement pack of several rods (8-10). That can simply be placed into the small key shaped holder. I am not sure of the cost but I don't think they were that expensive.

James

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thats the one...Where did you see the replacement rods? i would certainly get some.

Cheers,

Jake

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Jake,

It was the Scout Shop here in Dublin so maybe not to much use to you. It might be worth contacting Gelert themselves.

I will be in there over the next week or so and I'll can get the product ocde etc. if they have them in stock. If your interested.

I'm going shopping for KIT :-D

James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
A couple of weeks ago I had the Scouts practicing with these gelert magnesium lighters. After a while they all go the hang of it, and with very little effort we had lit and working fires.

They were casting sparks into cotton wool, surrounded by wood shavings; which, in combination, burned sufficiently long enough to build a fire around.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi James,

that would be great, the one o have now looks like it wont last much longer!

Cheers,
Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE