Fungi ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Hi all

Can someone please give a positive ID on this fungi I encountered today (Latin name if possible)?
I tried looking it up myself but I keep getting different names and descriptions.
DSC_3049-2.jpg

Many thanks
Ruud

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Calocera viscosa (orange coral) has a more 'antler' like appearance I believe. It looks to me more like a bright Cauliflower Fungus (Sparassis crispa) with the flattened lobes but I've never seen one that 'orange'. Is it in deciduous or coniferous woodland Ruud?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Guys, i thinks this is Tremella mesenterica, or yellow brain fungus (or Witches Butter).
It starts off yellow, but dries to quite a vibrant orange.
Seem a lot of it about this year.

I see what you mean. I've never seen one as 'developed' as that. In our wood it only grows to about 5 or 6 cm across with far fewer lobes on than in Ruud's photo.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Thank you very much for the info, I'll be looking into all of the species mentioned. I found it in a mixed type of woodland just next to a coppicing area (castanae sativa). It is growing on a piece of oak though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thank you very much for the info, I'll be looking into all of the species mentioned. I found it in a mixed type of woodland just next to a coppicing area (castanae sativa). It is growing on a piece of oak though.

Well, that rules out Sparassis crispa as that grows with coniferous wood I believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE