Fuel for Swedish issue cooker/mess set.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ok,not wanting to sound TOO stupid :eek:): but what do you more learned folks use as fuel.Ive used surgical spirit as well as meths and found that it lights up quicker and seems to work just as well.Have i been doing the wrong thing or is this ok.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Clem , its called a spirit stove and although meths would be the main fuel and 'spirit' in theory would work - although you'll never get me using scotch or vodka in it - better uses for them!!

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Gary said:
Clem , its called a spirit stove and although meths would be the main fuel and 'spirit' in theory would work - although you'll never get me using scotch or vodka in it - better uses for them!!
:) Thanks Gary.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gary said:

I ran my (Non-Military) Trangia on some cheap but powerful Metaxa brandy once, just to prove to myself that it would actually work. I struggled to light it (It helps to warm the brandy first) and the fuel jets never really developed into a 'proper' burn. BUT it did manage to boil some water for a cup of tea :)

The Metaxa was cheaper than meths :yikes:

simon

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Paganwolf said:
brandy as fuel :cry: makes me shudder to think of puttin my XO in my burner :nono:

you never tasted metaxxa mate :rolmao:

actually i got very fond of the 3 star version while i lived in greece, cheap and cheerful

but heck my taste buds were prolly all clogged up with resin out the retsina :shock:

Tant

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive found that meths does not ignite as easily as the sprirt,why would that be.I know its going to be an obvious answer :roll:

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
As I mentioned in another post, I burn methyl alcohol (methanol), and it works great. No soot. No problem igniting. I've wanted to try Everclear (a high proof alcohol) for some time now, as it seems more multipurpose than methanol. Methanol can be used for first aid if diluted, but cannot be drunk. --Bear

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
CLEM sorry for going off on a backpacking connoisseurs' tangent

As far as i know methylated spirit and surgical spirit are both basically ethanol (alcohol)

methylated spirit is dyed purple, surgical spirit has no dye

both of them have methanol added to make them unfit for drinking ( methanol causes blindness and is generally pretty bad for you if consumed )

as for pure methanol , i do not know if it is available for sale in the uk

Tant

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the info Tantalus its most appreciated,what i do not understand is why would the surgical spirit ignite so much more quickly than the meths.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
not quite sure on that one CLEM though it could have something to do with the air fuel mixture when you were lighting it

ok now i gotta make sense out of that......... :roll:

for example throw a lighted match on a lump of coal and it will just go out

but fine coal dust mixed in the right proportions with air can explode violently :shock:

not the kind of thing liable to happen at home, more likely to happen if someone wanders into a coal yard shed with a lighted cigarette just after someone else tipped a truckload of coal in

an over filled stove may be harder to light than a a half full one, because in the over filled stove there is all alcohol vapour and no air, and it needs both the fuel and the oxygen in air to burn

i'm just guessing of course cos i wasnt there when you lit the stove

Tant

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I would say that you have cracked it Tantalus,your theory seems sound when i think about it.I reckon you may well be right.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, sounds good Tant. combustion requires oxygen as well as fuel. Remove the oxygen and no matter how volatile the fuel, it wont burn. Interestingly, soot is also a product of incomplete combustion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE