FS - Flint & Steel Stiker, including 'Dragon' profile.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
It's been a while since I last forged a few strikers, so here's my newest batch of strikers made from the best source of high carbon steel available :)

These strikers send off a flurry of sparks against a sharp flint, and are quite probably the best batch I have made for the purpose. A light blow or tap against my usual flint resulted in a swathe of sparks which should light charcloth, amadou or any other suitable tinder with great ease.

The first striker I forged in this batch took a good couple of hours to get to it's current finished state, and is totally unique as I've never tried to forge a striker to look like anything in particular before;SOLD!
imgp2880s.jpg

As you can see from the photo, the detail is quite striking considering it's been forged! I've managed to punch and drift a tiny hole for the eye that's approximately 3mm across, and added the nostrils by punching but not penetrating the metal. As much of the original file pattern has been preserved to mimic the scales of the dragon, and I've added spines on the upper back and tail. The dimensions are a little over 10 cm long, by 6cm at it's widest, with the hand hole being 7.5 cm by 2cm at it's thinnest. I'm asking £20 for this one, including flint, charcloth, birch polypore and postage to your door.

The next two strikers are also excellent performers, and can be held in a number of ways to allow you to choose your most comfortable striking position;
imgp2895s.jpg

SOLD!
The above one is particularly interesting, as I've joined the two ends together into a nice organic little twist. it measures just under 9cm by 3cm, with the finger holes approximately 2cm in diameter. A brilliant addition to the newcomer and experienced crafter alike; £10 including flint, birch polypore, charcloth and postage.

imgp2893.jpg

SOLD!
The final striker or the 'rams horn' is one of my new favourites; measuring just over 10cm by 5cm with the central hole being 9.5 cm by 2cm at it's narrowest. A bargain at £12 including postage, charcloth, birch polypore and flint.

If you wish for any of the above strikers, flint and tinder to be included either in a cracking little caramel brown goatskin or a dark brown nubuck pouch with a paracord drawstring (also made by yours truly) please add £5 to the order.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Great work there SF, Would love the dragon one but cant stretch the funds enough at the mo because i am after some other bits to :) and Rancid B beat me to the second one :(

Let me Know if you make anymore,
all the best, Joel

E

ex member coconino

Very nice. The texture of the file really works with your designs. I'd have the first one in a heartbeat if it wasn't January.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Can I have the dragon please, with goatskin pouch :) is paypal ok? If so please PM me your address
Cheers

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it really gives me great satisfaction knowing that my work is something that others find interesting too! Sadly, for you guys, everything above is sold.:(

However, for those of you who missed out, I am able to make anything (within reason ;)) in my forge, from strikers to candlesticks, pokers to dutch oven tripods, door hinges to coat hooks, the list is exhaustive. I only 'smith part-time, usually at the weekends, as I have a day-job as a Geologist which involves a lot of travelling, but I tend only to take on commissions that I know I can fulfill in a relatively short space of time.

I try not to make the same thing twice, as I feel forged pieces should be forged with uniqueness in mind, although with strikers this is particularly hard based on the nature of their use. If you'd like me to sketch some designs for anything please let me know. Likewise, if you'd like to sketch something that you'd like me to make please pm me.

All the best,
Steve

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just a few words to say, the kit arrived today and it really is excellent

Throws a hell of a shower of sparks every time, really very well done indeed, very impressive work.

sincere best wishes

Steve

Ps: wanted to add that it's also a true work of art!

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Well I had to finnish work early to go to the dentist, 3 injections later and I felt pretty rubbish :(
As i walked down down the drive the mrs was at the window waving a parcel at me... cheered up straight away cos I knew it was my new striker kit from Steve :D:D:D:D

Just wanted to post to say a big thanks to Steve for his time and great work!! I am over the moon with this little kit which is incredibly efficient :35:
Throws a great shower of sparks and the little leather pouch it all comes in is also superb!
I would highly recommend one of these kits and also the service from Steve!

Cheers again, Joel

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers Joel.....:eek:

I'm glad I could make you exactly what you were looking for! Thankfully, I've just had my fresh batch of files and steel arrive today, so I shall be firing up the forge this weekend for more metallic meanderings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE