Friction folder advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi all in the market for a new knife and want to keep within the parameters of UK knife law. So folding knife, non locking, 3inch blade ( can be shortened if needs be) and a budget of £40. Now the only one I know of is the Svord Peasant mini. I have researched and it has very mixed reviews. So was wondering if anyone else out there knows of any other makes and models of friction folders within the £40 budget?
Cheers

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Svord Peasant which I took a file to the end of so its just shorter than three inches.
One thing about friction folders is they are quite long when folded.
They take up quite a lot of pocket space because of the tang.

I like it and as a user its nice but I've just moved onto a liner lock instead.
As my everyday tools for work include a hammer, a clawbar and chisel I figure that a tiny liner lock won't put me in trouble but I guess it would depend on how good a mood Dibble was in.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Opinel no5 s come in non locking versions, either stainless or carbon

Most 4-5 layer 91mm SAKs will be less than £40
Victorinox Huntsman is cheap on Amazon atm (£22.06) or the Fieldmaster if have an aversion to corkscrews (£23.28)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Huntsman-Swiss-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0001P151W/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-1-4713-Fieldmaster-Officers-Knife/dp/B001U527XW/ref=sr_1_1
I have an opinel no 6 with the lock ring removed, but wanted something with a bit more meat to the blade, hence I thought of a friction folder.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I figure that a tiny liner lock won't put me in trouble but I guess it would depend on how good a mood Dibble was in.

I have already had two random stop searches and although you could clearly see I had been camping and knifes were at bottom of my pack, I still had 3 knives confiscated and 2 cautions for carrying an offensive weapon. Don't want to take the risk for a 3rd or I will be in real hot water. Hence the reason for my looking at options they cannot dispute.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Is it specifically a friction folder you’re after or just uk friendly? If you’ll consider slipjoints as well it’ll open up your options a lot ie SAKs as mentioned above.
Out of interest what were the circumstances of your stop and searches? For years I always habitually carried lockers as they’re safer to use and it never crossed my mind that could happen. Admittedly I live in a rural area and probably look a typical farmer but I’ve never heard of anyone I know personally being searched. Maybe it’s a regional thing, I suspect in, for example, London things are probably different :)

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Is it specifically a friction folder you’re after or just uk friendly? If you’ll consider slipjoints as well it’ll open up your options a lot ie SAKs as mentioned above.
Out of interest what were the circumstances of your stop and searches? For years I always habitually carried lockers as they’re safer to use and it never crossed my mind that could happen. Admittedly I live in a rural area and probably look a typical farmer but I’ve never heard of anyone I know personally being searched. Maybe it’s a regional thing, I suspect in, for example, London things are probably different :)
Just random stop search, no specific reason. Both occasions have been
" Reports of a man matching your description " in other words anyone carrying a back pack. The cops are keen as around this part, even if they are wrong half the time. Yeah open to slip joints anything UK friendly that will take some heavy duty carving and cutting use.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Other than the Svord, there isn't a lot in that price range. For EDC I like the Boker Tech Tool, it works very well and would be fine for camping, but it isn't meant for "heavy duty carving".

The absolute best friction folder that would suite you perfectly is £100 more than your budget :(
https://benandloisorford.com/knives/nomad/
2-IMG_8790.jpg

Failing that, how bout this:
https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk...carta---perfect-edc-knife---mk-ii-12816-p.asp
25% off right now, down to £45

I think everyone here would be interested to know more about your encounters with the police. It is pretty much a certainty that people here go camping with knives. I am actually shocked that you accepted cautions for having a knife in a camping pack. Having never seen a random search I find it hard to believe that lightening hit you twice purely by chance. I wonder whether, having been able to confiscate a knife and caution you once your face wasn't recorded as someone to stop in the future. Police department targets and all that. More info would be good, maybe in a separate thread?

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Svord mini peasant is an okay knife, I occasionally carry one in my pocket and it's great for light tasks. Easy to get a good sharp edge on it. Has a nice rustic charm like an Opinel, but more unique. Go for the plastic handle version, they are about £15.

As for the the stop and searches, no wonder, look at the guy's avatar, well shifty looking dude. :)

Reactions: Jonboy83

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What's about EKA friction folder?

It looks good in my opinion, but I never bought one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
As for the the stop and searches, no wonder, look at the guy's avatar, well shifty looking dude. :)

Have you been to a Moot? That avatar picture doesn't look half as dodgy as most of us who turn up to Merthyr Mawr!

Do EKA make a friction folder? I looked but can't see it on their site, or anyone else's. Seems the sort of thing they might make...do you have a link?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Opinel no5 s come in non locking versions, either stainless or carbon

Most 4-5 layer 91mm SAKs will be less than £40
Victorinox Huntsman is cheap on Amazon atm (£22.06) or the Fieldmaster if have an aversion to corkscrews (£23.28)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Huntsman-Swiss-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0001P151W/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-1-4713-Fieldmaster-Officers-Knife/dp/B001U527XW/ref=sr_1_1

Well that pricing didn't last long, now £29 for a Huntsman, and Fieldmasters are not available from Amazon, but £47 for 3rd party.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I bought a Claude Dozorme Capucin from HH and really like it. It was comically blunt out of the box but performs really well now I've put my own edge on it. It was about thirty quid as I remember it.

couteau-dozorme-capucin-buis-decor-becasses-12-5cm.jpg

Reactions: Jonboy83

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE