Frames - internal, external, + materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have been brought up with external frames. First had a laminated wood frame ( small, maybe 25 Liters?) then the first 10 years of large backpacks with frames of Al alloy, then endured steel for a couple of months, , then progressed to a Polymer ( Nylon?) frame.
My last small ( about 40l) backpack is a modern one, with an internal frame. I do not know the material of the frame.

I wonder what your thoughts and preferences are?
Imo, the external frames have some positive benefits over internal frames:
'cooler' summertime, only two areas where a mesh strip is against your back.
can be used to directly fasten stuff on the sides, top and bottom, plus attach a lower/upper shelf

Fairly easy to repair when it fractures ( Aluminium alloy)
Negative - exposed for damage.
I broke ( extreme loads though) about 3 Fjallraven frames, my mates similar number, all replaced under warranty.

Materials: Aluminium tubes are light, do not flex much, (which is a negative on long treks).
Fairly fragile. If used in Scandi winters - extra fragile
Steel tubes are virtually indestructive, can be straightened, but due to small diameter, can be uncomfortable if frame/hip and shoulder straps and frame do not fit properly. Heavy.

Polymer ( aware of only Coleman made them) was for me the best. Incredibly strong, some flexibility, huge amounts of adjustment positions.
Negative - no top or lower shelf available. So limited 'expansion' possibility.
Care had to taken in very cold Scandi winters.

Laminated wood - very little experience, only had use of dad's antique day pack a few times,
But with modern lamination tech I would not be surprised if this was the best material.

I imagine it is strong, repairable, but somewhat impact fragile.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE