1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

forum taking ages to load

Discussion in 'Suggestions, bugs and feedback about the site' started by DoctorSpoon, Mar 18, 2008.

1. DoctorSpoon

DoctorSpoon Need to contact Admin...

Just for the last couple of days the forum has been really really really slow to load. The trees at the top come up quickly but then it takes a couple of minutes before the side menu appears then another couple before the forum itself appears. Once it's there then searching, opening threads, posting etc all works without problem. I'm on a mac using Firefox 2.0.0.12 - same problem if I try using Safari instead :(
    Any ideas??

2. rancid badger

rancid badger Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

yes me too, I'm just on a normal, though fairly quick, pc and also using Firefox. It's not taking as long as you but it has been dragging it's feet all day (I've a day off see?) I even ran the de-frag earlier to see if I was just a bit clogged but still the same.
    Never mind I'm sure the tech wizards'll sort it out;)
    R.B.

3. gorilla

gorilla Settler

same here on IE7

4. John Fenna

John Fenna Lifetime Member & Maker

I have taken to opening it then minimising the screen and doing something else for a while - like deleting p*nis enlargement ads from my inbox - after this chore is over I come back to BCUK and there it is loaded.....

5. dwardo

dwardo Maker

Same here, machine is running fine but i still also have the logging in problems, loosing my session and problems accessing my PM`s. I am sure teh guys are working on it and being in IT i know how much fun that can be :(

6. C_Claycomb

Mod

Its funny you should say that....
    The forum has been running slow for me, both from work and from home and I have been starting it, then minimising and going doing other things.

After years of running many email addresses and being a member of half a dozen forums, all without getting any significant amount of spam, suddenly as of two weeks ago I am getting inundated, all on the same address. :rant:

7. bushyboo

bushyboo Guest

I was wondering about that when i try to load up from the home page its been taking ages so i added a link straight to the forums and get in quite quick now:)

Gordon

8. sandbender

Mod

See yesterdays thread 'BCUK Homepage'...

The problem relates to 'Google-Analytics' being very slow to load, Tony is aware and it will no doubt be fixed soon :)

What are 'Google-Analytics'? see more here...

http://www.google.com/analytics/

9. DoctorSpoon

Thanks sandbender ... good to know why, although google analytics sounds a bit big brother-ish to me! (Best watch out John, it'll be noting you checking out those pen*s enlargement sites whilst waiting for the site to load ;) )

10. littlebiglane

littlebiglane New Member

One thing is for sure John...Google Analytics will not make it any bigger :lmao:

11. sandbender

Mod

:) it's all pointless really, every key press you type and web page you load is recorded somewhere and in the not so distant future your great grand children will be able to review every word you typed and every web page you've looked at! Now that is terrifying :)

12. Nagual

Nagual Native

According to google

Will my website's appearance or performance be affected by Google Analytics?

The appearance of your website will never be affected by your use of Google Analytics - we don't place any images or text on your pages. Likewise, the performance of your pages won't be impacted, with the possible exception of the very first page-load after you have added the tracking code. This first pageview calls the JavaScript on Google's servers, which may take slightly longer than a regular page load. Subsequent pageviews will use cached data and will not be affected.

I suspect google may be telling porkies.. :lmao:

Not if you have the right software.. ;) But it's okay, you're not paranoid if 'they' really are after you.. :D

Nag.

13. John Fenna

John Fenna Lifetime Member & Maker

Ha Ha - I have no children and therefore no Grandkids to worry about!
    As to checking out the informative enlargement sites - a lost cause I am afraid......

14. soggy boots

soggy boots Need to contact Admin...

Same here on IE7:confused:

15. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

I'm having absolutely no problems :confused:
    I've been in and out of the forum like a yoyo for the past two days (I'm trying to organise my paperwork and that's boring :eek: ) and the site loads faster than Google. Ebay, now that's like waiting for the kettle to boil :rolleyes:
    I'm using IE6 and 4meg cable internet

cheers,
    Toddy

p.s. HWMBLT says Opera is faster and it's free

16. demographic

demographic Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Its been very slow for me too, whats this Google analytics when its at home anyway?

Yet another way for Google to moniter browsing history?

They are getting a bit dodgy that way, heres some bumf someone linked me to a while ago...

Did I mention how comfortable these tin foil hats are?

17. DoctorSpoon

never without it :cool:
    [​IMG]

18. ilovemybed

ilovemybed Settler

Yep, only seems to be happening when you come to the site from the main page (I guess this google analytics thing is associated with the main page and not the forum pages?)

19. pibbleb

pibbleb Settler

I'm finding it really slow for every page I try to open within the site! :(

Plus the email notification thingy! Although I see another thread about that so I'll give it an hour to load then have a look:) Give me a chance to do some work I guess.

P

20. match

match Settler

OK - think I've found the problem.

BCUK main page loads some adverts from:

http://83.170.96.58/

this server is down and blocking the site loading. I've confirmed this by putting a block in on the page load in Firefox so it skips all references to this server - this causes the page to load instantly.

Solution would be to temporarily pull these adverts from the front page, or contact the advert supplier about an alternative URL.

The references to Google Analytics are just the last thing that the browser managed to grab before it blocked...