Food under the Frozen Ice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would say - amazing what people do to get some prized, delicious food!
Beautiful blue mussels.

( they do not have to do it to survive today)

Reminds me of the dangers of collecting of the large barnacles in Spain and Portugal.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I nipped to the shop the other day and got mussels for 80p! rope grown from the otherside of scotland :)

Don't particularly fancy climbing into an ice cave with the possibiltiy of icey water coming in to get some though!

Reactions: Spirit fish

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
That is amazing - ten miles out on frozen ice? The way things are going, they may not be able to get out that far soon. It reminds me of another BBC program I saw the other day, which had a 95 year old, part of a group of women free divers - Jeju haenyeo - who collect shellfish in dangerous waters off the coast of South Korea:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s0lss
There's a few days left to watch.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What's under that ice layer looks like a shoreline beach that's "dry" at low tide.
At least, they went down for some big buckets of mussels.
That's shore ice. What's disappearing is the sea ice, further out = polar bear hunting habitat.
Been a few grizzly/polar bear hybrids shot up in Nunavut in the last few years. Bad sign.

What impresses me is their understanding of the exact timing of the tide.
To dig as the tide goes out.

Reactions: Lou

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Grizzly / polarbear hybrids?
Are they sterile?
If not that is not all bad news, as when all ice disappears ( and Polarbears possibly die out) the DNA of the Polarbear will be saved.

Those hybrids must me truly awesome, feroucious!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sure. Lots of times, you can make F1 hybrids but they are sterile (horse X donkey = mule).
That's what keeps species separate and distinct. The mules are shooting blanks.

The niches and ranges of those 2 bear species did not appear to overlap at all until maybe 20-25 years ago.
That there are hybrids is evidence of change that even the Inuit might not have predicted.
Polar X Kodiak would be your worst nightmare.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Been a few shot up in Nunavut, I recall. Didn't look quite right to be a grizz (skull & nose shape) so they did a little DNA analysis.
Very rare. Unknown if they were reproductively sterile, like other interspecies hybrids.

Instead of the name "Grizzly Bear", the word that you are looking for is "Grimsly Bear."
A grizz is fast enough to catch and kill a galloping horse. With typical hybrid vigor? Who knows.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
How dose this kind of thing come about? I mean, in the mind of some bear its gone from there is some kind of bear on my patch to ho yer! check out that handsome beast over there I'm just going to wander up and............(cue Barry White music)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe they are so horny in their reproductive season that selectivity flies out the window?
As the sea ice is periodically shrinking like never before, it pushes the polar bears onto land instead of hunting seals at breathing holes in the sea ice.
They simply had to encounter each other in the range mostly of Grizz.
The Grizz, like the Kodiaks, are land bears and powerful swimmers when they need to be. They don't forage on the ice.
Fact is, it happens. The F1 (offspring, the First Filial generation) was full term, healthy and thrived.

Kodiak. Ursus horribilis. Isn't that a fine name?
Look at one of your big dinner plates.
The palm area of a Kodiak front paw is bigger than that plate.

I watched that BBC video a second time. I've never thought of myself as being claustrophobic.
But, I'm not sharing that hole, even if invited.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
My latin is not great but that means, bear horrible?, Lol nice one Janne! , Y'know I never came across a bear state side I'm kind of thinking that was not a bad thing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE