Folding fryingpan DIY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am planning a "DIY Camp" where I will not be allowed a single bit of kit (except safety kit) and realised that I would need a fryingpan....
Now - I would never claim any metal working skills, have only rudimentary tools (my "pillar drill is a Woolworths - yes Woolworths - electric drill in an Aldi drill stand) and my source materials are limited - in this case to a pair of old metal plates I was going to get rid of...
Those with skills, tools and materials may have gone for a fuller and rolled edges on the handle (cut from one plate) to stiffen it and stop it bouncing like a spring - I screwed on an off cut of wood from the firewood pile ...using over-length screws as I had no others and then grinding the tips off....
However, my last improv fryingpan was the lid off a biscuit tin with a length of sapling nailed on as a handle and that did duty for over a year!
This one is only intended to last a couple of trips but may do better.
Time spent making it - about half an hour from conception to finish ... all done beteen my morning exercise routine and breakfast (my hour long routine is a great time for thinking!
The finished item - I may let you know how it fares in the field after the DIY Camp!
P5030005.JPG P5030006.JPG P5030008.JPG P5030009.JPG

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Brilliant stuff John.
It's got more character than some of that new titanium-non-stick-self-washing-collapsible-into a matchbox nonsense.

It might be a tad heavier though.

Clanchief

Oct 14, 2017
Lomondside to Glasgow
I’ve been using a Stabilo therm hunting pan with folding handle for some time, can’t see it ever wearing out as it’s steel, once seasoned is perfect. Stainless plates and pans just don’t take a film of seasoning like a steel/iron pan.

Reactions: John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I swear by my cast iron - totally non stick now and a joy to use - but it does not qualify for my "DIY Camp" self inflicted rules!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Proof is in the pudding, or breakfast in this case. Lets see the bacon n eggs pics :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can't be much to go wrong to cook on a really greasy piece of roofing slate.
Any good places to dig up some of your own?

Quite a comfortable showcase of DIY.
You have addressed the single most valuable issue = staying as warm as need be.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have often used Slate to cook on - we are in a Slate producing part of Wales - and I have made shaped frying stones in the past ... but they are very fragile for carrying...
Frying stone/pot lid seen here among some other bits of my "Primitives" collection... all my own work save for the obsidian blade
bone knife antler tweezers clothes pin.JPG clothes peg obsidian knife.JPG cook stone bone knife limpet spoon harpoonhead.JPG fishing and sewing.JPG fishing gorges.JPG flint and bone arrow heads.JPG flint knife clothes pins.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE