Folding army cot bed....comments please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been using the MkIII army cot for over 2 years now and the MkII version before that.

Well built and having the tensioning straps makes it very easy to set up compared to the MkII.

You could get away without insulation during the summer but put an exped synmat on it and you'll think you were in your own bed.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
:) yeah, I would say so :)

i'll have to dig out the Belgium airforce tent I have to make sure it fits....that would be a real bummer, buy it and then find out it won't fit your tent !!

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Not a fan of a cot of any kind for outdoors use. The thin layer of fabric offers no insulation. The sleeping bag you're lying on won't insulate the bottom either due to the compression. This just leads to needing to take a foam or air mat too to put on the cot if you're in any kind of chilly/cold weather. I find it more comfortable to just use an insulated air matress.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Bought one of those fishing recliner beds once, didn't make it thru one night lol nice and comfy to relax on, but couldn't sleep on it (wasn't flat enough, wide enough and creaked endlessly (am a wriggly sleeper lol)

Long time since I've seen an Aluminum tree complete with hinge fruit in the field mate but i'll keep looking :)

haha well wood can be as strong, with a bit of paracord (or pine roots if ur feeling adventurous), you could fashion a useable frame I'm sure

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd get a carp fisher bedchair at that money, they're cushioned and don't need a mat. There are flat versions. I've got a couple a bit like in the link above, I sleep well in them. Though since buying an Exped Synmat 9, I tend not to bother taking them unless I'm off for a few days.

By comparison, as in price and comfort, the bedchairs are a no brainier IMO. The aluminium bars top, bottom and sides on the army cot just look uncomfortable to me.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have both the army bed cot. It must be mk1 as it has no tensioning straps. It's a real struggle to get the last end bar fixed under tension (potential finger trapper or back puller) I also have a newer after market (copy) this does have the tensioning straps and it does make setting up the bed far easier. The after market one is totally inferior in build quality and aluminium strength, compared to the genuine army cot. Both I found are good hard flat beds to sleep on. Both do keep you insulated to some extent, as your not directly on the ground. Even in the winter months. I've not had a problem with old striking through. However. I have taken to putting a thin self in-flaring mat on top, just for that added comfort.
I also own a JRC carp fishing bed. The carp bed, although bulkier to transport. Gives more scope for sitting up (in bed) or using as a very comfy chair until bed time or even a sun lounger for your back garden. I recommend you shop around and look at the riviews left by fishermen on those carp beds. You really do get what you pay for with those. Some makers sell spare parts just Incase.

It really is a personal choice.. noticed some time ago, Anchor supplies (Nottingham stores) were selling off grade A army cot beds at a very reasonable price. You could be looking at a saving of £20 or so on the one sold by Gijo in the eBay link.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I slept on the US issue one for 7 months. The aluminum at the top and bottom aren't a problem; unless you're about 6 and a half feet tall. There are no bars under them. As to insulation; yeah you'll need some underneath if you're out in colder weather (summer not at all) Insulation aside though, the fabric is stretched as tight as a drum so they're hard and uncomfortable without some sort of padding all year round. As stated the last cross bar can be hard to get into pplace until you get used to it (no problem at all after you've done a few dozen times) Best done with some sort of lever (we used a spare crossbar from another cot when camping militarily, but if you're car camping, the tire iron will work fine)

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I have found the best way to get the end bar on is to use a short loop of cord through the two holes in the end bar, sit on the ground with the bed end on, brace your feet against the bed legs and pull the bar into position. Some folk stand the bed upright and stand on the exposed stubby end of the bar and tilt the bed over till it slots in. Strongly advise using a roll mat in all climates as good for insulation and comfort.
There are after market complete nets to replace the canvas, ideal if using in a hot climate. If going to be static for a long time you can make/buy "Bed tidys" that attach along the upper most side rail, ideal for keeping a torch, book, MP3 player handy. The issue carry bag are great for carrying the bed a short distance and keeping everything together and the sand/dust away. Ive made some wee socks to go over the feet, stopping any damage to my tent ground sheet, used it many times inside a Ultra Quasar and a 2 man Arctic ridge tent

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Probably spent 4+ years of my army career sleeping on one of those...

Not the comfiest of beds but you sure get used to it, in all honesty, you don't get a choice!

Have a couple in the loft. Have to admit they ain't half that bad! And they still have a little bit of that nostalgia..

Reactions: Gabe and Erbswurst

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have the civvy version.

its just as good as my bed at home.

But you will need insulation unless it is warm. I use an old wool batting sleeping bag.

On top is a down quilt.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
We have two MkII cots, and we use big reindeer skins on top for added warmth and comfort. Be aware that you need flatter ground than you need when you sleep on the ground. I have motorcycle side-stand pucks to put under the feet to protect the groundsheet. We only use them in our Tentipi Saphir 9, they don't fit in any other tent we own!

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I used similar beds with wooden frame as well as with aluminium frame an I prefere wood, because it's warmer in cold conditions.

You can put a woolen blanket on it.

But I agree, that is nice to have in the cottage, probably fine in the Sahara or in the jungle. But is it really camping equipment for Britain?
I think not really, since we can buy modern insulation mats.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
The MOD seem to be having a clear out of surplus desert and arctic stores, one of the desert items was a mattress designed for the Army camp cot. It concertinas up into its own carry bag. The bag is a very light beige with the mattress and foam inserts white. The foam panels are held inside a envelope type fastening. they are easily removed and replaced. I tried unsuccessfully dyeing the bag and cover. The cover has long ties mid length and at each corner for securing it to the bed frame. I got mine from ebay brand new for £25 including postage, which I thought was very reasonable. There is even a wee video of it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE