Flying with a firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Don't know if this is the right forum but since it relates to a firesteel I'l start here.
I have for several years had a firesteel attached to my key chain.
Next week I'm flying to the UK for a business trip.
Question is, will the firesteel get me in trouble with UK customs or air security? No big deal to take it off but I prefer to have one handy at all times just in case.
Thanks-

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I was asked a few questions about mine after having it in carryon luggage by mistake; I didn't intend to bring it but it was in an inside pocket I overlooked.
I was called aside and asked what it was because under the x-ray it apparently looks a lot like something to do with a bomb and they were worried.
It was fine once I explained to them what it was, and they let me on my way.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Dont think you would run into any emergency firelighting situations in the UK on a business trip though? You could take it off till you got back at least then you know your definately not going pulled to explain what it is.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I've always got a ferro rod on me in one form or another and I hated giving up my ferro rod to get through TSA. I bought a couple of these and attached them to the straps of my carry on bag a black Maxped Fliegerduffel. They blend in quite nicely so I hope they don'r raise any unwanted attention. That's a US quarter about the same size as a 10p coin
4ff40769-0b12-4f09-b1b0-b645fc2a72db2.jpg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It could at a push be mistaken for a Kubotan and taken off you as a potential weapon.........not really worth the hassle but if you gotta have it then pop it in your hold luggage :)

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Personally i would just take it off and leave it at home, no point having the hassle of being pulled at the security desk, unless your business trip involves having to light a fire then just put it in your suitcase.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive fot firesteels all over my pack, in the sleeves of my smock, and in possibles pouch.....along with stromproof safety matches in an aluminium container with the striker on the outside.

Lighter, I decided to be as honest and upfront as I could be:

This is how ive chosen to take the lighter buried in my main luggage:

Ive sellotaped the outer case to one side of a piece of card, and the empty inner case to the other side.

Taken all the cotton/rayon out, dismantled the whole thing. i can use some cotton wool balls when i reassemable it in sweden, and buy some lighterfluid in sweden as well.
I washed the whole thing, so its doesnt smell of petrol, and get rid of the wadding/rayon/cotton balls completely.

Then put that in an envelope, then sealed that in a plastic bag.

IMG_1450_zpsfc4ac284.jpg

IMG_1443_zps52312bed.jpg

IMG_1449_zps4ca5bad8.jpg

IMG_1455_zpse86c014c.jpg

Ive got saw, knives, axes in there as well. If they take my gear, I'll be well p155ded off.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Ive fot firesteels all over my pack, in the sleeves of my smock, and in possibles pouch.....along with stromproof safety matches in an aluminium container with the striker on the outside.

Lighter, I decided to be as honest and upfront as I could be:

This is how ive chosen to take the lighter buried in my main luggage:

Ive sellotaped the outer case to one side of a piece of card, and the empty inner case to the other side.

Taken all the cotton/rayon out, dismantled the whole thing. i can use some cotton wool balls when i reassemable it in sweden, and buy some lighterfluid in sweden as well.
I washed the whole thing, so its doesnt smell of petrol, and get rid of the wadding/rayon/cotton balls completely.

Then put that in an envelope, then sealed that in a plastic bag.

Ive got saw, knives, axes in there as well. If they take my gear, I'll be well p155ded off.
If they took your stuff they'd give it back when they realised the extraordinary effort you have taken to import something so innocuous you could buy it in any corner shop in the world. (Once they stop laughing)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE