Flogging would be in order here...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Not only do I feel sorry for the amount of money people put in their hobby and now destroyed but imagine the years (over twenty years in some cases) they spent on the hobby. :(:(

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The guy interviewed said that it's not the money but the time that's the issue, some just don't have that time left!

It seems model railway is a dying hobby which is really carried out by retirees according to the club member who was interviewed . Which means that they might not have the 25 years to produce the dioramas again to the obviously high standards.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Likewise, particularly as a complete coincidence earlier this week, I got an invitation to the wedding of friends who work for the local Wildlife Trust who I first met on a volunteer day in Cannon Hill Park.

It is sad when a tree like that getting to its prime in a location where it will have been enjoyed by literarily millions of people over its lifetime is destroyed for the sake of a few minutes misguided fun but in the great scheme of things is it any different from the demise three similar trees felled by respectable, middle-class, nature loving neighbours of mine because their pet dog is allergic to acorns and they wanted to improve their view! :(

I am always amazed at the stoic determination of many of the Wildlife Trust staff and volunteers. Many of the urban reserves they manage are “challenging” - many are old industrial sites which are being reclaimed by nature and are often in deprived neighbourhoods and clearing up the mess (burned cars, scooters etc.) and other debris and damage left by bored yoofs is all part of the job. Sadly this sometimes includes repairing wooden walkways , information boards etc which do get torched or vandalised - those in posher areas are not immune.

A lot of work goes into community outreach and engagement efforts which do yield positive results - it’s baby steps but if you know your mother or grandmother helped plant some trees, you are much less likely to burn them down.

The Market Deeping vandalism has had an upside - several species of moths, thought to be extinct have recently been spotted after a certain celebrity model railway enthusiast famous for his very “Scots” attitude to money was so moved that he got his wallet out and chipped in! ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A lot of work goes into community outreach and engagement efforts which do yield positive results - it’s baby steps but if you know your mother or grandmother helped plant some trees, you are much less likely to burn them down.

Yes, yes, just yes :D
Can you imagine the flyting they'd get from their Gran for burning down a tree she planted ? I hope their parents rattle them.

The Market Deeping modelling club's devastating destruction has really brought out the best in a lot of people. Modellers are generally good company if rather focused on minutae. It's nice to see the support from such a disparate community. Some of the engines destroyed cost hundreds, each of those buildings, and there were thousands of them, costs at least a tenner a kit, the bigger ones a lot more, and it takes me a week to build one up and dress the scene around it. By the time I've done I've added another tenners worth of bits......so maybe twenty hours work and at least twenty quid, for a basic one. One night's destruction in basic financial terms, if you add in man hours, is still very much less than all the money raised.
I think though it's the sheer groundswell of understanding and support that's been offered, the help and genuine friendship, worldwide, that the club members will appreciate most.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
As a lifelong modelmaker (never dabbled in railways, but certainly placed to apprechate them) I am very saddened by this.

More serious, perhaps, but, like Nomad64, to put into perspective, modeling of all sorts is declining. (I wont say dying, like, say Stamp collecting)

Young folk dont have the time.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I still have my stamp collection. I guess totally worthless today.
A couple of the local pubs/drinking holes have the toilet walls covered with old letters or postcards, with old, beautiful stamps on.
In my youth, they would have lasted maybe 5 minutes.

One pub, King's Head, a nice bunch of pre WW1 Cuban letters with stamps. pre WW1 US. Some with Q. Vic on, so pre 1901 ( I think?)

Today - worthless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE