Flint knapping tuition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I live in the South Downs and there’s lots of flint and Neolithic flint mines around. I’ve wanted to make tools from flint for some time and I feel the time has come to learn how to do that.

Can anyone suggest someone I can discuss this with?

Many thanks,

Darryl

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't be easily discouraged. Long, slim flint flakes ("first strike blades") are deadly weapons for cutting raw meat in the kitchen.
The beat the Hello out of any steel knife (and I am very good at sharpening those).
I was gifted some. Finger length and shorter. Not slippery when wet at all.
If this picture clears, the meat is bison.

100_1165.JPG

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Don't be easily discouraged. Long, slim flint flakes ("first strike blades") are deadly weapons for cutting raw meat in the kitchen.
The beat the Hello out of any steel knife (and I am very good at sharpening those).
I was gifted some. Finger length and shorter. Not slippery when wet at all.
If this picture clears, the meat is bison.

View attachment 52077

If you are ever running short of flint, please drop me a line and i’ll send you some from the Sussex Downs. :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you are ever running short of flint, please drop me a line and i’ll send you some from the Sussex Downs.

Very kind of you. I don't do a good enough job of playing with the tools and toys that I have already.
However, look at the blades in my picture.
How many peleontologists would recognize those for what they are?
The best knife edges that I have ever used.
Jointing ANY large animal would be so easy.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The Lords are the accepted masters of all things flint in the UK.

You won’t be disappointed in their courses.

The university of Sussex we’re running some flint knapping courses with a friend of mine Bob. Not sure if they are still going.

If you get yourself along to a Sussex Group meet. We can teach you the basics.

Theresa mistress of all things leather has a good Nordic contact for knapping.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
The Lords are the accepted masters of all things flint in the UK.

You won’t be disappointed in their courses.

The university of Sussex we’re running some flint knapping courses with a friend of mine Bob. Not sure if they are still going.

If you get yourself along to a Sussex Group meet. We can teach you the basics.

Theresa mistress of all things leather has a good Nordic contact for knapping.

I was at Sussex Uni in the 90s and used to spend time in the woods behind East Slope and recall whacking flint on flint even then. Some things never change.
I had every intention of going to the meeting last weekend, so i’ll come to the next one.

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a sprinkling for the May Queen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE