Flint and Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Anyone here regularly use the traditional flint and steel firelighting method(as opposed to ferrocerium rods)? If so, what are the advantages of such a system?

Thanks!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
its extremely satisfying watching it grow and then blowing it to flame,watching that tiny orange dot on a black background appear then get bigger seeing the smoke rise out of your tinder bundle and get thicker ,feeling the heat rise in your hand just before the first flame licks it to life or when it just bursts into flames,all from you. I try to do it every other fire i light because its good to know you can (most of the times :-D ) good job i cant do fire by friction yet or i`d write something far out, cheers al

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I am thinking of getting a steel from Woodlore. I have home made char cloth, but am curious to try natural tinder. Does anyone know of a source of horse hoof fungus, either growing wild, or for purchase? Also, will any flint do?

(Should this be a question in the resource section?)

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got a flint and steel set, and have been able to light charcloth with it, but never made a fire from it ( hard to find a place where i can do that here ). It takes a bit of practise, but after that it isn't to hard. it is proberbly usefull for normall firelighting where you got plenty of time, but take atleast one easyier way of firelighting with you !

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Andrew Middleton said:
I am thinking of getting a steel from Woodlore. I have home made char cloth, but am curious to try natural tinder. Does anyone know of a source of horse hoof fungus, either growing wild, or for purchase? Also, will any flint do?

(Should this be a question in the resource section?)
This may be me getting the wrong end of the stick, but.... Are you planning on using flint on the steel as in Flint and Steel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE