Flannel/wool shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Anyone have a source for flannel or wool shirts? All I can find are one in the £70-100 range and thats a bit too much for the woods

plain colours prefered but subdued checks would be ok

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah sorry, just linked in. :oops:
I take your point though. The next one on the page I looked at was a checked flannel type one, and there were others.
EWM has a factory shop near us, so it's kind of my go to place for 'warm' shirts and sort of country type outdoor clothing. Not so much the hi tech or truly bushcrafty stuff like ventile, but for everyday out and about it's very good.

M

https://www.ewm.co.uk/flannel-check-shirt-2105724.html?___store=default

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd buy those Edinburg shirts in a minute but the look of the "tapered fit" won't suit my pear-shape.
Here, I need what's called the "gentleman's fit."

Generically, I'd call my first choice the "Farm Stores". Salt blocks, gate latches, horse tack & saddle blankets. . . . those kinds of things.
Just about every one of them has a rack or two of good flannel "work" shirts.
Carhartt and Dakota last a lot longer than what seems to be cheaper, thinner fabrics.

Of course, if you have more money than brains, you'll buy nothing but Pendleton shirts. One of these days.

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I've purchased quite a few second-hand pure wool shirts of the top brand variety from the US via ebay. Only once hit for Import Duty and still not particularly expensive.

K

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd buy those Edinburg shirts in a minute but the look of the "tapered fit" won't suit my pear-shape.
Here, I need what's called the "gentleman's fit."

Generically, I'd call my first choice the "Farm Stores". Salt blocks, gate latches, horse tack & saddle blankets. . . . those kinds of things.
Just about every one of them has a rack or two of good flannel "work" shirts.
Carhartt and Dakota last a lot longer than what seems to be cheaper, thinner fabrics.

Of course, if you have more money than brains, you'll buy nothing but Pendleton shirts. One of these days.

From actually seeing those EWM shirts first hand, I can truthfully say that the photos are a tad misleading. They've got them neatly 'tucked in' to give a more fitted shape than most of them actually have. They're not all generously cut, some are more office wear style, but in general they're on the roomy side.

The factory shop carries and sells off the sample pieces too. The extras of the ones they make to send round the shops for staff to have some input into 'will this sell' kind of thing.
I bought (perfect) merino jumpers for eight quid a few months ago :D Just in time for Christmas :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wanted some new flannel shirts, I could tell that winter was tuning up.
Into Marks' Workwearhouse to find a NEW shipment of all sizes & colors!
So I picked out 4 different plaids in XXL and went to pay for them.
Shop lady (50?) looks me up and down.
Says: "'Scuse me sir but I don't think that these shirts will fit you."
Me: "Huh?"
Her: "These are 'tapered fit'. I think you would be more comfortable in the 'gentleman's fit.'"

What a giggle. Found same but wide enough in the stern for me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Try searching for Dickies’ flannel shirts on Amazon. I see the over here (not sure if they’ll show up on U.K. Amazon) for about $35 (£26.89) in various checks.

Reactions: Robson Valley

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Flannel shirts. LandsEnd UK.
https://www.landsend.co.uk/Search?q=flannel shirt&fromSearch=y

Wool shirts...that is going to be harder. Spend money, or spend time, maybe both. If you want cheap, you will have to look long and hard. Things like old Vyella dress shirts in charity shops, every once in a while.

I just bought at Fjallraven recycled wool shirt, it was marked down, but still at the top end of the range you quoted.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the UK, is there an online vendor like Sierra Trading.com?
They buy out end lots of clothing, all kinds of stuff, and sell it all off out a huge warehouse, only on line.
The stuff goes so fast tha you have to watch every day for what you might want and pounce on the deal.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
I got a couple of flannel shirts from fat face of all places I’m the sale. Brushed cotton, warm, well made and very comfy. Was planning to wear them as a mid layer for skiing, have ended up wearing them most days this winter and they’re wearing in brilliantly, even wore them as an outer a couple of days with just a baselayer underneath when skiing.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I got a couple of flannel shirts from fat face of all places I’m the sale. Brushed cotton, warm, well made and very comfy. Was planning to wear them as a mid layer for skiing, have ended up wearing them most days this winter and they’re wearing in brilliantly, even wore them as an outer a couple of days with just a baselayer underneath when skiing.

I did see the fatface option - I just tend to find the colours abit too loud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE