Fishing Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Line ( obviously ) I'd go for some of that braided cheap crab line it's as tough as anything, fit a snap link ( clip and swivel ) to it and then keep a short length of monofilament to make hook lengths from.
A few hooks - range from size 10 - 18 - they take up little space, maybe a trebble hook too. A few bits of split shot, maybe a small ledger weight and a couple of floats. Wine corks work fine or you can make quill floats out of feathers. To attatch a cork I get a piece of twig, loop the line over one tip wrap it around a couple of times, and then jam it into the cork. Sling in a couple of small spinners for good measure and that should suffice.

Casting is a question of chucking it like a sling shot, it's suprisingly accurate - and dangerous if you don't watch the hook end.

Realgar

jakunen

Native
I'd personally add a small PLASTIC disgorger. You may get fish you can't eat and that way you can safely get the hook out without killing the fish or losing your fingers. (Even jack pike have bloody sharp teeth).

Make sure the shot is lead free for UK use. It should be if you get it from a shop, but if its from an old relatives gear, it probably is lead.

And I'd recommend either micro-barb, or something like the Preston Pinch hooks. They are much kinder to the fish and easier to remove (from your hand/clothes).

Rather than crab line (which is normally pretty bright as I recall?) I'd ask a friend who does carp fishing for some braided line. Or you can use the central threads from proper paracord.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ok well I'll put some of the things I have in the house into it first.

Could you tell me what these things are from left to right and what they are used for if you know :biggthump :

100_0769.jpg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Right well I have some big hooks (don't know the size, came with a survival tin i bought ages ago) and some small size 20 hooks to nylon that I've just added. I've got some Specimen Plus 8lb line. And some BB and AAA shots.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've just chopped off some of the end of a disgorger so it would fit and added a fast flowing float(only size i could fit in). Any information on what the items in the picture are?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Young Bushman said:
Ok well I'll put some of the things I have in the house into it first.

Could you tell me what these things are from left to right and what they are used for if you know :biggthump :

Well you've a couple of weights on the left - used for ledgering, the two objects next to it are either olivettes - a light weight that's threaded onto the line or plastic beads from a predator rig used to stop a sliding section.

then you have a couple of bits of snap tackle - a swivel and clip which is usualy tied swivel end first to your main line allowing easy changing of hook lengths.

the remainder look like float rubbers used to hold the line to the float, they might be ledger stops which are a sort of ring and plug affair used to stop a weight sliding down the line.

As for disgorger, I like to use a pair of snipe forceps but you do need something. You might want to think about a priest - I use a mallet as things like zander take a lot of bashing.

The crab line is fairly bright but I've caught roach, carp, zander and crayfish on it, braid would be a better choice but I already had the crab line.

Oh - scissors or a razor blade for cutting line - essential - and barbless or debarbed hooks I quite agree. Once you've had one in you you will too.

Realgar

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Realgar said:
Well you've a couple of weights on the left - used for ledgering, the two objects next to it are either olivettes - a light weight that's threaded onto the line or plastic beads from a predator rig used to stop a sliding section.

then you have a couple of bits of snap tackle - a swivel and clip which is usualy tied swivel end first to your main line allowing easy changing of hook lengths.

the remainder look like float rubbers used to hold the line to the float, they might be ledger stops which are a sort of ring and plug affair used to stop a weight sliding down the line.

As for disgorger, I like to use a pair of snipe forceps but you do need something. You might want to think about a priest - I use a mallet as things like zander take a lot of bashing.

The crab line is fairly bright but I've caught roach, carp, zander and crayfish on it, braid would be a better choice but I already had the crab line.

Thanks Realgar.
A question, what is Ledgering?

Realgar said:
Oh - scissors or a razor blade for cutting line - essential - and barbless or debarbed hooks I quite agree. Once you've had one in you you will too.

Yes all my hooks are barbless :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Right.. let me see....
The first 2 are weights.... look like sea fishing ones but great for weighing down a crab line. Not sure of the next 2. Next you have a couple os swivels for making 'rigs' and then float rubbers for attaching floats to lines.

I would also add a small string bag (like you get in persil washing tablets) as these are great for crab fishing.... these is a pic of me doing this on the site somewhere.... do a search for crab fishing.

Remember that handlines are a big no-no on british rivers, so only use at sea, or make a rod when fishing on a river where you have the correct permission.

A few coloured beads are good for making lures, flatties love em ;-)

As for a handline, either make one yourself to fit in the tin, or buy a cheap kid kite, the handles/line holders fit in a tobacco tin and you can get a fair amount of line on them.....

Hope that helps

:)
Ed

jakunen

Native
Arsley bomb. Static lead with elastic link. 2 barrel leads for legering across gravel bottoms for barbel. 2 snap links. The rest look like float rubbers...

Legering is a system of fishing (normally without a float) that was designed by a guy called Fred (brains just gone phut!) somethingorother, IIRC.

Basically you use a senstive tip on the rod (a swing tip or quiver tip) to indicate a bite. Nowaways there are various butt indicators too as well as electronic alarms.

The idea is to get the bait to the bottom of the lake or river and hold is static - the second leger from the left is similar to the old coffin leger deisgned for use on fast flowing rivers liek the Avon and Ouse.
The weight can either be fixed or running, the idea here being that the fish swims off with the bait held losely in its mouth, feels the weight and panics, charging off and setting the hook.

Not a method I'm very good at as I prefer float fishing and I'm never quick enough to strike when legering...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ooops, someone beat me too it :-(

Get yourself a book on fishing, or get one out of the library.... or do a search of angling webites and have a looks. There is alot of infomation out there about tieing different rigs (hook/line set ups) and lot of info about the fish you are catching, where to find them, hook size, bait etc....

Ed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ok thanks for your help :You_Rock_

My kit now holds:
2 weights for Ledgering
AAA and BB shots
2 swivels
some 8lb line (I'll get some braided line)
small scissors
disgorger
fast flowing river float
bread punch
Float rubbers
2 Barrel leads
Persil net bag
Large hooks
small hooks
Unrelated items Included in tin
snare wire
needles and thread
a button :p
Anything else?
Thank you! :biggthump

jakunen

Native
You may want to add some lighter line. Sometimes fish can get spooked if they see the heavy line.

What a lot of us do is to tie the hook onto a lighter line and then attach that to the heavier line. You only need 4"-18" of the weaker line.

This also helps if you get 'snagged', either hooking a log, rubber boot, motorbike, or when the fish swims into such after having been hooked. You can break the hooklink and so just lose the hook, a little line and maybe a few shot, but you keep the float etc.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Jakunen, Arlesey bomb, designed by Dick Walker with a bit of help from Fred Taylor, developed for fishing long distance perch fishing at clay pits in Arlesey. Two great old gentlemen who developed many techniques and gear.
Dick was an Engineer who had a family business producing lawnmowers and Fred whos still around is just an old moocher but a brilliant Cook,angler and all round good ol'boy.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Although it won't fit your tobacco tin, were I looking for a means of emergency fishing, I'd get myself a gill net. I'd still carry the gear for a night line, but I'd definitely want a gill net if I was purely after food, for emergencies you understand. Purely for emergencies.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can I ask why they are illegal ?
Who knows why they were made illegal.... probably because many poachers used to use them as a pastime..... just chuck the hook in while walking by the river.

In law, you need a rod license to fish on inland waterways, and a rod license allows you to use 2 rods (i think).... not a handline..... and you can't get a handline license so they are illegal by default.

Ed

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Yep two rods per license but you can hold two licenses. I've just Emailed the EA to ask what the status of handlines is - see if there's an offical line on it since the EA site doesn't mention them at all. The three license system has been done away with - your basic job covers all coarse and non migratory game fish and the expensive version allows salmon and sea trout too - but you have to submit a statement every year stating how many you have caught.

As for the handline thing, since fishing poles are allowed it doesn't take much to tie your line onto the end of a stick.
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE