Fishing - How do I get started?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo,

Early morning chaps!

I've been thinking lately about getting more hobby time under my belt and more time out of the fort. My commitments to my very limited shooting club are rocky at best due to personal obligations so I was thinking about a more relaxed and cheaper hobby I can get into.

I live right close to the Bristol channel, and as a lad when I lived here I'd go sea fishing with my dad. I've never been particularly interested in the fishing as such, but more the time out and the fresh fish (lol we ate the bait squid more often than not!). I haven't been fishing in 10 years, my last try was down south in Dorset with the luck of a few dog fish.

So.. firstly, can you pro's give me a heads up on what sort of fees/paper work etc I legally need? I'm aware that sea fishing is far more 'free' than the other sorts but still have very little knoweldge of it all.

And secondly, I have no fishing kit at all. :eek: What rough setup costs for a rod, reel etc and paper work am I looking at?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Sam

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
For sea fishing, as far as I know, there is no kind of paperwork as you're free to just go fishing as you like (edit: just had a look and there aren't any limitations in sea fishing, you're free to fish recreationally in the UK), the only real limitations are in which species you can catch, and in what size you can catch. (heres a link to one of the tables http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angl...g-tips-and-tactics/Sea-fish-size-limit-chart/ )

As for the various bits of equipment needed, you'll need a rod, reel, line (probs around 20lbs), some floats, weights, hooks and the little fiddly bits like shot weights. I managed to pick up a starter set at my local tackle shop for £30 which had a decent beach rod, a reel, and line pre-loaded. It also depends on where you're going to be fishing as to what kind of tackle you need - if its beach fishing then you'll need a longer rod to cast right out. The best bet I'd say is to go into your local tackle shop and speak to them about what you want and your budget and all that kind of stuff and they're usually very happy to help you out and get you started. It may also be helpful to either buy a book on the various techniques needed or to find someone else who does it and go along with them to learn from then, I found that helped me a lot when I was getting started.

Most of all though just get out there and enjoy it, its pretty addictive if you get into it.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Sea fishing is free but be careful you don't try to fish in a marine protected area (No Take Zone) like the one between Arran and Holy Isle.

The easiest form of fishing IMO is lure fishing. You can use the same spinning rod for rivers and lakes if you wish. The kit can be left in your car and you don't stink it out with bait and its quicker to set up. You can get your rigs pre tied (mackerel and cod feathers etc) and its just a case of putting the rod and reel together, hooking up your rig and attaching a weight. Job done your line is in the water. Its also more hands on so less time sitting around waiting for a nibble, you are constantly moving the line and trying to attract the fish to bite.

To go bait fishing I end up taking a large box of tackle and bait, a tripod rod rest and a couple of beach casters. Quite a weight if your humping that 2 miles down a beach to get to a good spot.

To go lure fishing I just have a small plastic tool box with a selection of pre-tied (some home made and some shop bought), a selection of spoon, wedge and soft rubber lures, some cranked hooks, a selection of weights. A filleting knife, disgorger, line cutters, swivels and clips. I take one 9ft 2 piece spinning rod and a spinning reel. Nice and lightweight. I can carry that to some pretty hard to get to spots an for some distance too. My favourite fishing spot is a mile and a half from the car and a climb over rocks. With this kit I can do it with ease.

I also have a couple of telescopic rods and a sandwich box of tackle that I permanently keep in the car for those, 'how can I kill an hour while she's shopping for shoes' moments.:D

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've fished rivers, canals and lakes as a nipper, never the sea though. But I will :)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
If you're camping by the beach, stretch a strong multiple-hooked and baited line across a bay between 2 headlands, let the tide go in & out while you're beachcombing, sleeping or whatever, then pick up catch:)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Go to a tackle shop, tell them what you want to do and your budget, they will set you up with everything you need to start and probably try to sell you a few things you dont as well, but they are a mine of information and will be explain everything to you.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Starting out I would buy one of the Aldi\Lidl sea angling or spinning kits or whatever kit type takes your fancy, trust me, fish do not know how much your gear costs.

Spinners, you can lose a lot in a short space of time, again Lidl\Aldi or Poundland or Poundworld for such like and floats etc. also.

I take a tiny rod and reel with me if I will be camping near fresh water (it will do the job for the sizes of fish that you are most likely to catch), get one with a fixed spool as opposed to a multiplier reel, one like this and put better quality 4-6lb breaking strain line on the reel.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Tele...l_Supplies_Labels_LE&var=&hash=item540b7cf466

If you want to go upmarket you could try http://penfishingrods.com for compact combo's, but rather pricey.

A general purpose telescopic rod can give you great versatility for seashore fishing, river and loch fishing, again Aldi\Lidl kits are remarkably good for the money.

Boat sea-angling, get a boat rod, fly fishing - the choice is endless, I have fished with expensive and cheap equipment, the cost of the gear is not the main factor, it is what you know that counts.

A bubble float, some shot for weights, and a ledger weight or 2 (if I have no ledger weights I use a small stone) and some line wrapped around pencil or piece of plastic card makes a very usable hobo type kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE