Fishing Estuaries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Hi All,

I live in mid-wales and I'm looking into fishing Estuaries using a hand line. I was out today doing just that but didn't get a bite. I've been reading up on tides- It seems a high tide is the best time. I want to use the fish for eating and want to avoid catching fish like Bass that are covered under UK legislation due to their low numbers- I'd like to fish in an ethical way.

What I'm wanting to learn how to use a hand line so that when I'm camping or on canoe trips, I have the skill and knowledge to do so. It'll save me from carrying a larger bit of kit like a fishing rod. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of some useful resources or be able to help shed some light on the skills behind handline fishing?

Thanks guys :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In my experience fishing from shores in UK - only small fish get caught.
I used a beach caster to get as far out as possible but seldom caught a fish that was ethically ok to keep.

Canoe/small boat is better.
I have used both a Cuban yoyo and the traditional Scandinavian version from boats.

I find a very thick line with a thinner leader is the easiest to use, as a thick line does not cut the skin on wet and soft hands so much!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh, I don't know about that Janne, I've caught plenty of fish from the UK coast that were well over the minimum landing size. However, I've never had much success using a hand line (an overnight long-line yes :) ). TBH my best catches have been spinning in incoming tides from rocks with crashing waves - but that can't really be recommended. I agree with your recommendation for using a thick line. When I have long-lined it's been with 3mm paracord with 10Lb monofilament droppers. I've usually managed enough for breakfast and lunch - all down to the tide and bait really.

Bluefrog, I've had little success in the Tywyn area but I think your best option, if you're new to fishing, would be to get to know someone that fishes the area frequently using conventional techniques (i.e. rod and line), satisfy yourself that you can do that and catch fish, then use the same terminal tackle and bait on your hand line - the rod only really helps cast the tackle and maintain a tension on the line when playing the fish so you should still get bites but may have less luck landing them.

just my 2p's worth :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I guess it depends on what size you like to keep. I like to kill (and eat) fish that is grown up and in reproductive age.
I think the minimum recommended size is to young.
I do not know the British rules, but on the Swedish West coast it is 30 cm for cod.
That is a baby.
The small species of fish make a good soup. (as do small species of fresh water fish).

Those I clean, remove fins and tail ( can give a bitter taste imo) and then I boil the heck out of them. Sive out the fish bits and bones ( looks like bony fishmeat porridge) Add veg or whatever you find. Samphire and that beach Brassica plus other greens like nettle are added at the end.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like to kill (and eat) fish that is grown up and in reproductive age.
I think the minimum recommended size is to young.

100% with you on that Janne but in the right place, on the right tide I have had reasonably large fish off the west and south coasts of the UK (especially Scotland). Not as good as in Norway mind :)

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Winter night fishing for flounder would work well with a hand line, as the fish are happier to come in to the shallow water when it's dark, I used to fish the Loughor Estuary up by the bridges and you could catch reasonable sized fish within a few feet of the shore. Daytime summer fishing, depending on the estuary, you could try floating a bit of bread downstream and might get a chance at some mullet at top water on a nice hot still day.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
For estuary fishing, a boat may or may not help. And you don't need big gear. You want to be quite close in to the waterline, really. There is a ton of action as lots of fish will be there, eating up the little fish and shrimp in the shallows.

There will be others (doggies/flatfish) further out among the features of the seabed. So, if you can, try and get a look at the layout of the place when the tide is out. You might be able to see all that from a handy clifftop, though there often enough isn't one :)

One day try popping out to the west side of Canada (or the east and maritimes, come to think of it) ... add it to the bucketlist... watching the salmon run up the coastline is one of those things that doesn't diasappoint. Catching them isn't exactly sport though :lol: Just throw something pink in the water and they will bite it

I am guessing that Barmouth is near you. Mysterious water that is :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Estimated 14,000,000 Sockeye salmon in the Fraser Estuary later this summer. Canada = west coast.
Flashing lures work but that means lots of movement, hard to do without a rod from shore.
Best terminal weight for a hand line was a railroad spike.
I hope that you're allowed to use bait, you need a stinky attractor.

If the sea temp is too high, that run could be 5,500,000 and you can be sure that Sport fishing will take the first hit.

The Adams River Sockeye run, when they color up, is like nothing on earth. Google for a peek.
Next best would be the Fulton River spawning channel off Babine Lake.
I've stood downstream from that one with the Sockeye 4 feet thick around my legs.

We can pack a big lunch at my house, drive 20 minutes and sit to watch the Sockeye jumping Beaver Falls on the Holmes River.
Looks just like all the videos!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I guess it depends on what size you like to keep. I like to kill (and eat) fish that is grown up and in reproductive age.

That's kind of backwards thinking though. Fish at reproductive size are more valuable to the fish stock than a young fish would be as they are already actively breeding. They've taken a lot to get to that size and should be left to do as much reproduction as they can. For someone removing the odd fish here and there for a meal they'd be better off taking a smaller fish rather than taking something too large and having too much to eat.

I've fished esturies since I was a kid. By far the best method to catch fish for eating is spinning but you can have some good success with a float. If you find the right spot, say a good rock outcrop or headland with a decent current running past, then you can use a float or maybe even feathers with a handline. If I was after something to eat I'd target pollock. Usually the best time is the first couple of hours after high tide, look for deep water near the shore with some weed cover and fish close to the weeds. In esturies fish tend to either lie in wait and let the food come to them or they'll be actively hunting small fish and prawns that are using a structure for cover.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Norwegian Cod fishery has strict size rules. The Skrei Cod is fished just before mating time, when the fish is full of roe and milt ( those are valuable products).
The fishery is in perfect condition, plenty of fish.
The rest of Northern Europe, including my home country Sweden, have different rules, where smaller cod are allowed.

Not much cod left in those fisheries!

Your idea is sound and logical, but for some reason it does not work.

I fished from the Thames estuary ( southern part) alongside the south coast all the way up and around Cornwall.

Beach fishing is great, but not so productive. (compared to boat fishing). Has other qualities imo.

A good spot is around the Dungeness powerplant.
No, the fish is not 'glow-in-the-dark"!
:)

I caught lots of flat fish there.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'll be honest and say no - well not to my liking. Ray are OK'ish (they are shark family after all) but more bother than they're worth unless you're hungry, but skate I find quite unpalatable, almost fibrous flesh that always seems slimy :( . Someone on here will correct me and tell me a good way of preparing them I'm sure :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Here's some pics of the Adams River run a few years ago. It was a big one .. there's a big one every four years. The best bit really is watching the fat, lazy eagles stuffing their faces on half rotten salmon that have just flipped themselves out of the water to expire. Very noble :lol: And the lovely weather.

The numbers are astonishing ... they come up river in pods a few thousand at a time. There is one spot where the river flattens right out to about 500 yards across and very shallow ... completely covered in red backs and green bellies.

Adams_1.png

My eldest leaning over one of the pods

Adams_2.png

Teams milking the fish. There has been a huge and effective effort to maximize the runs as a food source. It involves this milking as well as raking and slowing down the upper reaches of the river

Adams_3.png

and then they all die

Adams_4.png

During these runs, salmon gets very cheap sort of $7 for a biggish pink. But these creatures are not in great shape by this point. Many people say the Atlantic salmon are better tasting than the Pacific. I feel traitorous saying that I think it is true. :lol::)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's 5 on the west coast.: Pinks and Chum (dog salmon), Springs (Tyee is 30+ lbs) and Sockeye and Coho.
They do not taste the same at all. I wouldn't eat pinks or chum unless I really, really had to.
Sockeye is really strong, if you like that. Springs baked in the oven with grapefruit/rice stuffing is heaven.
Coho steaks on the grill with some alder wood smoke is #1.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Getting OTT to a certain extent. I think Pinks are just fine though I know they get bad press. You just bone them with your fingers smear them with something nice and quickly bbq them.salt and lemon does just great but maple syrup and cumin or smoked paprika is nice too

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Must be runs in the UK with fish moving along the coast?
Do the resident fish move in and out with the tide for stable salinity?
Knowing that could help a lot in timing fishing trips.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The only runs you get in UK is from the original British cuisine.....
:)

I guess mackerel, needlefish, salmon and eel do something you could call ’runs’?

Except that the salmon and eel are almost extinct these days.

Can you get needlefish in the British estuaries and coastline?

I never caught one there. But plenty of them in Sweden. From the shore, from piers.
Excellent fighter, excellent to eat!

Last edited:

Grallocher

May 14, 2010
Scotland
Do the resident fish move in and out with the tide for stable salinity?
Knowing that could help a lot in timing fishing trips.

Yes. Salmon and seatrout do hug the coast when returning to their respective areas.
Not sure about England, but Scotland has byelaws regarding fishing for game-fish - within certain distances from river mouths.
They will drop back with tides depending on river heights and will rest in brackish water until levels are suitable to run.
I'd imagine there are a lot of fish in coastal estuaries at the moment awaiting a good spate to get up.
However, white fish , or traditional sea caught eg flounder/pollack etc , a good method is to set a long line with a few baited droppers at low tide, let it fish the rising tide and hopefully you'll have a fish or two for the pot.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada

There's Herring too, and mackerel .. both of which I love. Mackerel sushi is the best stuff :)

Pollack always makes me think of cat food :lol: Nothing to do with the fish itself, just that it was super cheap near us when I was younger. Same with Coley.

My grandad used to love a battered skate wing. He got me to like rock salmon

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE