Fish tail palm produce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
Fish Tail Palm Produce

Fish Tail Palm(Caryota Urens) is native to the tropical rainforests, jungles and hill country of South East Asia .It can be found from India all the way down to Indonesia and the Philippines. Its found its place in America as an ornamental plant, but most people are unaware of what it can provide you with.
PICT0016.jpg

FIRE
Unknown to most, there is a cotton-like substance on the inside of the bark of the palm. This can be harvested by taking a leaf off and collecting the fluff. To get a larger amount, get a machete/parang and take an angled cut on the trunk at about chest level and then a horizontal one to pop a chunk off, then squeeze your machete down the gap and move it from side to side to get the bark off. When you get to an orangey cotton, pull off the bark and repeat on another section until you have about half the palm’s bark off then scrape the cotton off with a knife in a downward motion. When dry, it can take a spark and smolder for a long time if left. When mixed in a 1:2 ratio of charcloth and “cotton” it is a very good fire starter. To prepare this, tear the charcloth and cotton together into small pieces and place in jar, then shake vigorously and you should get an end product like this. If dry, it will catch the first spark you give it, even with flint!
PICT0018.jpg
what the "cotton" looks like.
PICT0020.jpg
harvesting it with my Mora.
Shelter
Although not the best shape for making a roof for your shelter, when inverted, the leaves (like most palms) will channel water down and away, so when you inter-weave them, water will be channeled downwards. The roof has to be a slanting one though!

Food
The berries of this palm are poisonous ,although not deadly they cause severe mouth irritation because they contain calcium oxalate crystals (believe me I’ve tried!), having a stomach ache in a survival situation could be deadly. The seeds/kernels of the fruit are edible after boiling for a couple minutes (handling the berries does cause slight itch, not permanent) choose only the ripe berries (yellow/red). The heart of palm is good when boiled, its very starchy but very filling. It can be extracted by cutting down the palm (2-8 inch across is good) then removing the stems by chopping off the branches and running a knife down the trunk to remove a portion. After trimming off all the sides (save the cotton!) you will land up with the heart ,a white long stem. I recommend boiling with the seeds/kernels and pouring the water away as its not fit for drinking.
PICT0026.jpg
heart of the palm.
Other Uses
Natives of Malaysia use the cotton as wadding for their blowpipes, when inserted behind the dart and it increases the muzzle velocity drastically. The lower part of the leaf can be made into baskets,bowls or sheaths for knives.

Precautions
Make sure you wash your hands after cutting a fish tail palm down as touching something (or somewhere!) like a canteen mouth would cause irritation when you drink. Don’t eat the seeds!! I have seen and heard of a few people getting in a bad way after eating them, and since they are an ornamental plant, they could get eaten accidentally, especially by children.

I just thought I would post this up for people interested in asian plant species that are useful.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
Sorry BOD, its not a water container! Its used by the Bidayuhs to serve food and meat as it has a natural non-stick coating. I will take some shots of the bottom for you tomorrow. 1:2 was pure trial and error. In my opinion its one of the best tinders out there! Burns very hot. you need the charcloth in there to get it to start but it can work on its own.

Thanks

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
thanks for bringing something like this to peoples attention. nice to see something both exotic and close to my heart for a change. inspired me to put up some photos of my parang on another thread. kudos to a nice little article.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I haven't even got onto the sub-species that you can use to make toddy (slightly fermented drink) or "air tapai" as the locals call it. Will get round to some more interestesting threads soon...

oooo i know it well, its good but im a tuak man through and through! arak is a bit much to be honest... not enough decent mixers available! hahaha

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Good post HarrytC!

I know the plant as Caryota mitis from the local (Dutch) garden centre and the dried fluff (without further additions) is an excellent fire piston tinder

Cheers,

Tom

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Good post HarrytC!

I know the plant as Caryota mitis from the local (Dutch) garden centre and the dried fluff (without further additions) is an excellent fire piston tinder

Cheers,

Tom

now thats an interesting thing to mention and has made me think. fire pistons are indigenous to malaysia no? has anyone actually come across one whilst out there? id love to know if i could pick one up whilst im out there next!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
now thats an interesting thing to mention and has made me think. fire pistons are indigenous to malaysia no? has anyone actually come across one whilst out there? id love to know if i could pick one up whilst im out there next!

BOD and Bandel4 have posted on fire pistons from Malaysia, they are still used and made by the Semelai from the mainland.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE