First Wild Camp Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
This isn't for me, it's for a friend of mine that has recently been through some very trying times and has taken my advice to go camping with me and clear out the cobwebs. I find there is nothing better, and even if there are still issues at home, the trees may as well have created a forcefield to keep them from getting to me.

What would you recommend teaching someone to really get them enthused about woodsmanship and bushcraft? I'm sure being under a tarp, with a fire and a brew will do most of the enthralling for me, but I was wondering what you think really gets people enthused? My general idea so far is:

Firelighting/fire prep
Knots
Tree ID basics
Plant ID basics
Fungi ID basics
Knife work
Pot Hangers
Natural Cordage

So, over to you guys :D

Cheers

Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Fair point. I had considered that might be the case. I'm already an active member of the groups around my area, this was for the country at large. I'll alter the original post

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
If may suggest, I would not try to have them feel they need to learn anything, it might be better to subtly leave all of your suggestions open to experimenting with (if they like something - let them be the one to ask to try it).

For a first time out it may be somewhat unfamiliar and perhaps a little discomforting for a neophyte, perhaps bring a simple selection of easy to cook food options for them to choose from and heat\cook, some not so bushy treats (supermarket familiar products), and some re-assuring 'reminders of civilisation' e.g. music\radio.

Since it is a first time, and, as you say a certain fragility on your friend's part, it may be prudent to ease them in very gently.

I would let your friend set the pace, with you being the reassuring support, when and if you feel it is needed.

I would be interested to see how your trip works out, nice idea on your part, I hope it goes well and the weather and conditions are particularly kind and comfortable.

rorymax

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I guess you know your friend, so you'd be the best judge.
Knots and natural cordage break me :D
I'm all about fires, shelters and traps :D
Finding natural tinder & getting a fire going with a ferro rod - I've found that that always seems to interest people...
Would you be able to knock up a spindle and hearth board and teach him how to make fire by friction - that's a pretty big back to nature/sense of achievement thing :)
Oh, and take a bottle of port.
I'd say the fundamental rule of bushcraft is that it is better to have port and not need it, than to need port and not have it.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Depending upon time contraints, transport availability and your friends level of physical fitness the pair of you could have a mini expedition out to one of the forest bothy's, there's a few in Snowdonia and a nice little cluster on the Scottish border near Kielder Water. Whilst camping is forbidden on Forestry Commision land in England/Wales if I recall correctly you can pitch up adjacent to a bothy provided that it's full... or was full when you arrived.

As for what gets people enthused the reasons are as varied as the people but the one recurring theme was summed up by Nessumk
we do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it
and its this idea that no matter what even the world going to hell on horseback,no place to call home, not a penny to your name or emotionally lower than a snakes bottom in a wagon rut with basic minimal gear and the Bushcraft/Woodmanship skillset you have the ability to do more than just survive and nobody can take it away from you.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
If I was taking someone who hadn't done much 'outdoorsy stuff' before I wouldn't worry too much about downloading them with loads of knowledge but would probably just pick a stunning location and maybe try to spot some wildlife that they don't usually get to see. A lot of people are bowled over by the simple beauty of nature when they have never really seen it up close before and that sort of experience tends to lead them to want to get out more and possibly take an interest in subjects like bushcraft.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I would start with the basics and don't over load the poor guy.
But also give him all the glory. Eg show him how to tie a knot then get him to use that knot to set up a shelter with a tarp.

Teach him to start a fire that u use to cook you food and keep warm.
If he feels he has done all of this it will give him a great feeling of accomplishment. If you do all of it. It really won't mean as much.

I would do the basics and cook a really delishious meal. Even a spit roast or something like that. Get him introduces to the finer point in bushcraft before cramming his brain with plant ID etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
Good on you btw for doing something to cheer your buddy up. I bumped into a guy the other week who had come out camping for the very reasons you want to take your friend out..... basically he had been having a hard time, was feeling down but unfortunately had a bunch of couch potato mates so he was out on his lonesome trying to make the most of the one thing that gave him some peace. Hope he found it, at least for the few days he was out.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
so i'm taking it a "wild camp" is something outside a public campground?
if so, then how far in are you trekking and what kind of shape is your amigo in?
if your going any distance and hes not in that good a shape, you may have to reel him in from time to time.

its been my experience that cheechakos, (especially younger folks) do not know enough to pace themselves and reach camp utterly spent and useless.
try not to show him to much at once and keep ahold of your axe until he understands some basic sharpy use and safety.
pack a few extra items and go over his kit before you hit the trail........woods

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with the others, take him somewhere you have permission that way no confrontations should arise. Then fill his basic comfort needs; Shelter, fire and a good hot brew and tasty food. Just simply helping you do those things will get him involved and wrap him in a fluffy blanket of a comfortable situation. It's amazing how you feel, sitting by a fire with a mate, full belly, warm and talking if you want too, just watching the embers if you don't.
Hope you both have fun and would be good to hear how it goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE