First Solo Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I finally managed my first solo trip. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected - I really thought I'd be uncomfortable in the woods on my own but I was actually alright. Obviously every time there was a sound I switched off the torch and listened but other than that I was fine. I just took a tarp / bivy bag / sleeping bag plus mini trangia and usual camping gear. I also took a hobo stove and about 1kg of cut up firelog - with a small amount of wood from nearby it burned well for about 4 hours and was much more fun than sitting in the dark.

Funniest part was probably when for absolutely no reason I pondered what the single most scary thing that could happen would be and out of nowhere the idea popped into my head that it would be if I held the camera out and took a photo of myself (as I do quite a bit when I'm on my own) that when I checked the photo to see if it had taken okay I'd spot someone or something behind me. Just goes to show how your mind works when you're paranoia level is high :D

I learned plenty of things that I'd do differently next time but over all it was a great trip and I'm glad to have finally done it.

That said, I've no particular desire to do another solo yet - I like company. But I'd definitely not be put off another one in the future. The next one I do will probably be more walking with a stopover inbetween rather than just an hour into the forest.

4397249527_810c09befd_o.jpg

4398015270_2e2182ca66_o.jpg

4397250533_5e1b14c83c_o.jpg

4397250711_5917192451_o.jpg

4397250905_863fabb414_o.jpg

4397251989_9b641131de_o.jpg

4397253017_905dba63ea_o.jpg

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Looks a good spot,and you seem to have had a mix of weather,although in the first pic the ground looks a tad lumpy,Its funny how when your out alone you always(well i do )have the odd spooky thought that never seems to enter your head normally.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
first time i was out alone i tripped over a guyline having a pee in the night and have the ****e scared out of me by a deer bellowing at 5am about 5metres from me, i sat there and watched it was cool!

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Nice one mate , i remember my first ones well.I do like going myself but in the long winter nights it can be a bit too long in the dark feelin yer way aboot for all and sundrie. The summer months with long nights are better for me because i can get upto plenty to keep myself occupied till i,m tired,so i would definately prefer some company in the winter .

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Nice one , you do learn things about yourself camping alone ,,,did you talk to yourself? ...wonder who is to make the tea? ..
when your used to camping in groups its all a group effort its a bit odd when its all down to you ,
good stuff
Twodogs

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Looks like a grand night out, thanks for sharing. That huge lump under your sleeping bag looks mighty uncomfortable !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good one Jonnno

Woods can be a nervy place to sleep on your own, until you realise you're probably the scariest thing out there.
I used to enjoy solo nights out on fell tops where you could see for miles by the moonlight, moving down into the woods puts an extra edge on the experience.

Keep 'em coming

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Looks great... I've done a few but not for a while and those photos are fab.. I'm gagging to go again. I like it best on a clear starry night, it's the DB's.

My worst/best scare was when I was about 14-15, we had not long moved from the suburbs in Manchester (never seen a proper dark sky), out to the sticks in Somerset..
I'd been to the local pub (It's somerset 25yrs ago, they don't care how old you are) it was about 2 miles back to the house.. Pitch black, no houses, people, or life as you know it, between here and home.
About 1/2 way 'ish, (I was a bit on edge anyway, black ain't ment to be THAT black) I start to hear this un-earthly ripping sound, and something that sounds like a washing machine with the motor bearing gone... My sphincter was really twitching now........... I looked over the the right to be confronted by hundreds'ish of green glowing disks.......:eek: (just about lost control by now). Did I run.. I think so. :aargh4:

So what was it....... A field full of cows grazing...

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Well done Jonno. :)

Did you get much sleep?

My first trip on my own many years ago, I was awake all night, my head turning like an Owl's at every wee sound - nervous? Mind playing tricks? Oh yes!!

I had a fire going to keep me warm. Well, when I say a fire, you could have re-enacted the burning scene from the Wicker Man. The fire was on the go more for the fact it was mentally comforting than for warmth etc.

I was kacking myself to be honest.

I think the scariest thing we can face in the woods these days is someone approaching us with a mirror.

My next trip out I took a pal. He was wary of the dark etc., (I'm sure it was the dark he was afraid of,?) and I swanned about like an old hand, taking the mick etc., - what a fraud.

These days I take my dog with me, but he's no good as "back up" as he's too busy playing, stealing sticks from the woodpile, exploring, chasing rabbits etc.

Good fotos, and I'm glad you went out and did it. :)

All the best,

Liam

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Thanks all! The ground was well lumpy - the forest had been logged and they had left an almighty mess behind. The spot I picked had a mound in it but when I slept I was beside it rather than over.

Fire wise, I specifically took the hobo because I didn't want a big fire that would be visible. I reckoned that the hobo wouldn't be so easyily spotted.

As far as sleeping soundly goes I may have cheated with a snifter of Jack Daniels. But that wasn't until well after I had made camp and I had still needed to plunder around in the forest looking for water etc before :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
"These days I take my dog with me, but he's no good as "back up" as he's too busy playing, stealing sticks from the woodpile, exploring, chasing rabbits etc."

Ditto:)

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
Exellent post jonnno, also the pics! goodjob.

Some of the creeped out stories are hilarious.. The dark lane glowing cows one had me in stitches so did the 5 meter 5am bellowing deer... Priceless

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE