First paddle...stalked by a whale!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Well - checked the forecast yesterday and it looked like it was going to be a nice start this morning.

bdN2Ukcu9UqhrHyAF3o1HekdBB7vY42VNJJZ_5B2ww=w367-h207-p-no

So, set my alarm and was up and out by 6.30am, took a little while to get the new kayak into the water as it's a little on the heavy side for one person to carry. It's a Galaxy tandem which I bought on eBay for £400. As it's so usable, my parents can go out on it too so it's a good replacement for the outgoing sea kayak of mine (currently on eBay here if you are interested).

u2gs3cxqRIDZ5FpeIdQDwkSYx1z6SSJUF9HAupbHSg=w367-h207-p-no

I was in the water for about 7am and after a little paddle in the shallows to check the bungs were in correctly, I ventured about half a mile offshore and started spinning for some mackerel. Gorgeous morning with the sun low on the water, keeping me nice and warm in my wetsuit - I was quite content!

I then heard an exhalation of air which I thought was a seal....I watched and waited and then a porpoise came to the surface just a few metres away, had a little look then dived again. Brilliant sight - but I guessed that was maybe game over for the fish!

So off I paddled, heading back north towards Craster...bit more fishing....few more porpoises - it was just fantastic. Still no luck with the fish though. I then spotted some Terns diving towards Dunstanburgh Castle, so thought I'd head further north to see if there were any mackerel there....

...paddling along, good rhythm, sun on my back....all good...

...something in my head made me turn round as I don't think I heard anything untoward and as I did, right slap bang in the middle of my wake, no more than 10 metres behind me, heading directly towards me, is the biggest Minke whale I think I've ever seen. I was stunned! I went to grab my phone to take a photo but by the time I had it in my hand, it had rolled under the water and underneath me. It surfaced again a few minutes later between myself and the shore about 20 metres away and that was the last I saw of it.

That was enough for the morning and the weather had started to turn, so back to Craster I went...

BL6sScqZCHwgrIjKNPn6yt3_cPT8Jpg8lksPi147OQ=w367-h207-p-no

Absolutely amazing morning - well worth not catching any dinner for!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Great outing. When you're in a small boat, close encounters with the larger sea creatures really does put the awe in awesome.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D
That was a trip to remember :cool:
Saw a basking shark up close once when in a wee boat :yikes: t'was a scary thing :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE