First evening with my GB SFA - chopping block and mystery WIP (8 pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Today on my way home from work I stopped in the woods and collected a big piece of timber - looks to be beech.

IMG_1107-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

The upper part of the piece was mostly intact, the bottom half had half of it missing. From the weathering, I guess it has been cut either this or last season.

IMG_1108-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

I collected it for a couple of reasons: I needed a chopping block for when I split wood. Also, I need it to serve as a solid and level area for finer work like whittling etc with an axe or knife. Then I wanted some smaller pieces for some shaping/ whittling/ to make something. So firstly, I cut the intact section of the log. Sweaty work with a pad saw! Here's the top view.

IMG_1109-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

Here's the side view. I managed more or less clean cuts on both sides.

IMG_1110-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

Then I debarked it with the axe. Oh what a joy!!! The Granfsörs Bruks Small Forest Axe is amazing, a real joy to work with.

IMG_1111-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

Next, I chopped off that little branch to see whether I could use it to whittle something.

IMG_1113-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

I finished it off with the pad saw and then had a good look. I know what this is, it just needs to be freed!

IMG_1114-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

This is how far I got till it got too dark to continue. All this shaping work I did with the axe. It works a treat!!!! There's still a lot of material to be removed before I use a crooked knife (actually I have to get one first too! LOL)

IMG_1118-Edit.jpg by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

You have already guessed it of course: I try to make a spoon!

Is beech wood good for spoons? It is rather dense, but nice to work with.

Cheers for looking!

ATB

Mike

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one, the log looks like a piece of Ash though (Fraxinus excelsior), not the easiest to carve, but not one of the most difficult either imo, spoons carved from Ash, well anything carved from Ash usually shows some superb grain patterns

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I thought for sure you were carving a new Loch Ness Monster, but after you cut off the neck I am having a re-think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE