Firesteel handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi, i thought i would share a few photos of a couple of firesteel handles that i made recently. I just used some odd bits of pine that were lying around the shed to make them. Anyway here we go.
Fox
DSCI0001%20%28Small%29.JPG

DSCI0002%20%28Small%29.JPG

DSCI0006%20%28Small%29.JPG

Barn owl
DSCI0003%20%28Small%29.JPG

DSCI0004%20%28Small%29.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Very nice Stuart. The owl is beautiful. What sort of knife did you use?

I don't think we'll be having a firesteel re-match :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stuart,

BB (My GF) has never liked firesteels. She now wants "owly". I can't carve except with an axe....It may ahve to be lifesize!

Lovely work - you have rep

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Don't you just hate talented people! :lmao: I put a piece of red deer antler on to a firesteel at the weekend and thought i was doing well. Then you go and show us this superb work. Envy is a sin, but they do look good. :)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Marts, i,m affraid to my shame that i did'nt use a knife, but cheated and used a dremmel type tool to make them. I am my own worst enemy as i start with good intentions by saying that i'm going to take my time and carve such things with a knife, then lovingly sand it by hand but i get into the shed and its b****r it wheres the dremmel,to impatient and wanting to get to the see the end product ASAP :eek: .Terrible i know!!!

Woodwalker, the eyes are quite simple,they are just beeswax mixed 50/50 with charcoal. I made eye sockets then warmed the wax up to make it pliable and pushed it into the sockets,next wipe off the excess and your left with nice round eyes.

Pumbaa, i don't buy firesteels with the plastic handles on as you can buy them without,check here http://outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=45. I don't have anything to do will the seller blah blah.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
stuart f said:
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Marts, i,m affraid to my shame that i did'nt use a knife, but cheated and used a dremmel type tool to make them. I am my own worst enemy as i start with good intentions by saying that i'm going to take my time and carve such things with a knife, then lovingly sand it by hand but i get into the shed and its b****r it wheres the dremmel,to impatient and wanting to get to the see the end product ASAP :eek: .Terrible i know!!!

Woodwalker, the eyes are quite simple,they are just beeswax mixed 50/50 with charcoal. I made eye sockets then warmed the wax up to make it pliable and pushed it into the sockets,next wipe off the excess and your left with nice round eyes.

Pumbaa, i don't buy firesteels with the plastic handles on as you can buy them without,check here http://outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=45. I don't have anything to do will the seller blah blah.

Did you just drill a hole in the wood and then glue the firesteel on with something like Araldite?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just made my first firesteel handle and had a bit of trouble getting the hole straight. The first couple of attempts I drilled the hole but when I placed the firesteel in it was at a slight angle. Is there any way to insure you get a straight hole?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE