Fire-Spout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Probably not allowed..... they are not around my area because they still leave a blot on the landsacpe.... If the fire was in some sort of bowl so as to not scorch the earth (like a kelley kettle) then that may be more permissable.

I wouldn't buy one either, its would be dead easy to make ;-)

Ed

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Does anyone know of a piece of kit that I could buy, that would allow a fire to be made for cooking purposes only?
I'm sure there must be something out there somewhere (don't fancy carry gas/petrol around with me, if I go bushcrafting for a couple of weeks)

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yes, a bbq from tescos , they do a small stainless one , i saw someone in the new forest using one because fires are banned on campsites but this was ok, the fire is about 2-3 inches off the floor, i couldnt believe it when i smelt woodsmoke, was very envious, or you could go to woolies and buy a kitchen utensil holder for about 3 quid and use it as a brazier, a 12 inch billy fits perfectly on it ,hope that helps

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Best to ask the wardens in the local area...... some places wont even allow cookers :yikes:
Something like the pocket cooker may be acceptable http://trekdirect.co.uk/main.htm especially if used ued a plumbers blanket (or some other fire proof base) so that it wont leave a mark ;-)
There has been a bit some disscussion about these on this forum so you may want to do a search.

:)
Ed

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
saying all that i`ve never been bothered when i have an open fire ,all the above were for places where they check and the utensil holder was an experiment,good with charcoal

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Tony said:
Swedish fire box? I know that campsites that allow bbq's allow them and they're quite good.

How do I find out about the swedish fire box?
Did a search on Google and came up with nothing

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
In the new forest, wood fires aren't allowed but charcoal ones are, if I'm heading out there i normally keep a bag of charcoal in the car. Kelly kettle is ideal for this, place it on an upturned saucepan (if you've got the cooking kit that goes with it) and load it up, just make sure you place something under the venting hole in the base to stop pieces falling out onto the floor.

Charcoal isn't ideal for Bushcraft, but if you're setting up a base camp near your car or you don't have to walk too far it definatley works and pretty much every where allows it.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
This is the only UK supplier I've found for a firebox. As long as you raise it slightly of the earth (logs/rocks) it shouldn't scorch the earth.

In Canada/US, as far as I'm aware, they're called an "Environmental Fireplaces". A friend of mine got one from Churchill River Canoes when he was last across the pond. Not sure how much it would cost to import?

Beer Monster :biggthump

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
I got a mini fold up BBQ from Woolworth's a few years ago that is similar to the firebox. I'm not sure if they still have them but it was only about £3.
If I remember correctly it's about 12"x12"x5" with a little grill. I'll get a pic of it when I get home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE