1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire roll. Coffee and stuff.

Discussion in 'Firecraft' started by Rabbit leg, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

A broken bone stops play. So I am limited to one handed stuff. A few years ago I practiced one handed bow drilling but this time I am trying to improve my fire roll.

I have successfully used various ingredients in the past - ash, rust, coffee and a few others.

Just want to ask if anyone has any good ideas? But only if you have tried yourself.
    There are a few ideas on the internet but they seem a bit dubious - nobody else can repeat them.

zornt likes this.
  2. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

I've never heard of this method. Just googled it and watched a couple of vids. Interesting method. Will have to try it . Especially as with my back problems I find a bow drill literally a pain! :)

3. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

I think it is the easiest method of the lot.
    One handed. No muscle memory to train. No strength or stamina needed.

Using natural ingredients found in the wild requires a bit of thinking. But ash from an old fire is quite common. So are rusty objects. And a lot of people carry coffee.

4. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Sorry to hear about the broken bone; I hope it heals quickly and soundly for you.

Chaga or fomes fluff, dried tops of mugwort rubbed up, and ash from an old fire. The mugwort helps hold it all together.

M

Rabbit leg likes this.
  5. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

Hello Toddy,

Chaga broken down to dust? Rolled in cotton wool.

Horse hoof fluff inside cotton wool or to replace the cotton wool?

Or is that all combined as the roll with ash inside?

Thanks.

6. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Like Toddy, I’m sorry to hear of your Ills; but if you manage one handed fire lighting with a bow drill, I’d dearly love to see the videos! That’s an awesome accomplishment.

7. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

I watched Warthog1981 do that very thing at the Moot one year. His hand had been sliced open on a sickle but he managed to make fire with only one working hand using a bow drill. So long as you balance well, then it's do-able....with skill that is.

@Rabbit leg
    I fluffed up the inside of the prepped fomes and scraped that off. I had been sawing up chaga to send to someone (flat pieces go into one of the thin cardboard posting boxes that will go through the letterbox) and I just used some of the sawdust sprinkled over the ashes and fomes fluff. I had the mugwort to hand and I thought, "Why not ?", and it kind of acted as the roll that held it all together enough. Mugwort's an old hearth herb. It's sort of furry underneath the leaves. It's traditionally used in the Far East in moxibustion, it's called Moxa when it's fluffed up and turned into a kind of woolly fluff. It takes an ember and it lets you blow it up into flame. Masses of beautiful white smoke.
    Probably overkill really with three good ember makers, but it worked :)

santaman2000 likes this.
  8. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

There are a few one handed bow drill methods. The best one I found was - sitting on your bum, legs extended, big fat bearing block under the back of one knee, downward pressure with weight of leg, stability with stiffening leg out straight. Voila - ember.

9. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

Just tried Galaxy hot choco. It got very hot but I think the sugar and milk in the powder doesn't help.

Maybe just cocoa powder would work. But that is rarely sold these days.

10. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

Also tried a limpet shell crushed down. Calcium powder. I think it may work. Will try again tomorrow.

11. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Bournville is widely available (Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Waitrose) and Callebaut is around too.
    I use it in baking as well as in spiced hot chocolate.

santaman2000 likes this.
  12. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

We have different brands here but I was thinking the same thing. However it’s not in the same aisle here as the chocolate drink mixes. Rather it’s in the baking aisle. Maybe that was the OP’s problem: looking in the Wrong aisle?

13. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Good point, it is often in the baking ingredients aisle.

14. Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg Tenderfoot

Toddy - it looks like you're going to have to test that for us. I'm busy with limpets.:)

15. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Y'can keep the limpets; I'm allergic to fish and shellfish....their shells make good tops for spindles for a home made firebow though. Just pack one with leaves such as ivy and fit the shell into the curve of the palm of your hand :D

Cocoa powder, in a fire roll....might do, though it's absolutely chucking it down here today.

M