finaly got my log burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Well i finaly got my log burner ive been wanting for a long time .
I live in a new house on a new barrat estate, ive tried for years to get my wife to move to the country with land and a real fire etc but had no joy at all, anyway ive talked her into compramising , so i got a cpl of chickens im working on a veg patch and had a builder to build me a false chimney breast and fit me a log burner , and most importantly its free heat ,me and the lad love it , we can have a fire every night
IMG00083-20120316-1101.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got to love a stove.

If you feel the need to practice log splitting - feel free to practice here :) We cook on wood - it gets old after the first thousand logs ;)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
moving away from mine this weekend :(
Know the feeling, I recently relocated to the south coast and had to leave mine back in Suffolk. Its one thing I really do miss from there. But am planning to install a dunford yorkshire one before too long:)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If you don't already own a maul, get one. Makes a felling axe look pretty crap when splitting wild grained logs.
Not blown away by those wood grenade things, got one and I'd rather just use the maul. Its currently sitting in the shed waiting for me to give it to a mate who thought he might like one. No doubt he'll get sick of picking it up soon enough after he gets it as well.

IMO its not worth the extra for a Gransfors maul, nice bling and all that but the Silverline one works just fine. 90 quid is a lot to spend when it doesn't do the job significantly better than the twenty quid version, they do have an overstrike protection sleeve thing but you have to be fairly cackhanded to really need that anyway. I can hear the howls of rage and anguish at that comment from the Gransfors fans already. Shrugs.
They don't need to be particularly sharp as its the shape that does the work.

Just to add to that, my long suffering and lovely wife manages just fine to use the maul to split kindling, just holds it right up near the head and chops away. She's only five foot two and not built like a soviet shot-putter either. I have a mate who won't use his for kindlers as he says its "Too heavy", didn't half rain on his parade when I told him my wife managed it with ease.
So there he is taking wild swings with his hatchet that's just badly shaped for splitting and he's a bloody liability with the thing.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If you don't already own a maul, get one. Makes a felling axe look pretty crap when splitting wild grained logs.
Not blown away by those wood grenade things, got one and I'd rather just use the maul. Its currently sitting in the shed waiting for me to give it to a mate who thought he might like one. No doubt he'll get sick of picking it up soon enough after he gets it as well.

IMO its not worth the extra for a Gransfors maul, nice bling and all that but the Silverline one works just fine. 90 quid is a lot to spend when it doesn't do the job significantly better than the twenty quid version, they do have an overstrike protection sleeve thing but you have to be fairly cackhanded to really need that anyway. I can hear the howls of rage and anguish at that comment from the Gransfors fans already. Shrugs.
They don't need to be particularly sharp as its the shape that does the work.

Just to add to that, my long suffering and lovely wife manages just fine to use the maul to split kindling, just holds it right up near the head and chops away. She's only five foot two and not built like a soviet shot-putter either. I have a mate who won't use his for kindlers as he says its "Too heavy", didn't half rain on his parade when I told him my wife managed it with ease.
So there he is taking wild swings with his hatchet that's just badly shaped for splitting and he's a bloody liability with the thing.

I got my 61/2 lb demolition maul from WICKES early last year in the sale, for £10. It's been great. From Oak to Pine, Cherry to Eucalyptus.
Oh, p.s, great looking stove.
Colin.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Im just about to move into a 4 bed barratt job. How much silver did you cross your builders palm with for that chimney? I thought i was going to be stuck with a frontier stove in the shrd.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

I was highly impressed once watching the russian tv news on sky a while ago. They had an axe competition, I think they were making bee traps where the sizes had to be very precise, and they were using huge 7 pound or bigger axes but choked right up as your wife was doing, using them to fine tune the wooden pieces, very impressive accuracy and control:)

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Hail the Persistant King! So that must be what the phrase "indomitable spirit" means :)
I think that's great. I completely understand your desire and subsequent happiness. My little 4KW woodburner has probably brought me more joy, peace and contentment than anything (except perhaps my bike - and I have high hopes for the Gransfor Buks Swedish Carving axe).

I came across some interesting fireplace ideas while looking at homes in America:
- an ash hatch at the back (often directly into the back/base of an open fire), so ash can be removed without risk of dropping it in the house
- wood hatch, a larger door to the side and back, so that logs can be passed into the fireplace area, without the need to traipse through the house
- gas starter (one of my homes had this, came with the fireplace option) - supposely you could even use it with fake logs as a gas fire on it own.
- chimney fans (not sure how that work)

Yes, 6.5lb maul sounds like a good idea - mine is 8lb but it is so effective it seems like overkill.

Now, how about a dog (black lab/cocker spaniel/Jack Russell) and a bee hive? ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE