finally got a canoe and getting out on the water.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
well on saturday i picked up a venture prospector 16. I got a bargain as i saw one go on ebay for £70 more than mine. And mine is all but new. It said ex demo but being.canalside based.there is less launching marks than i will put on it later when i christen her at rudyard lake later. I cant wait to fit her out and take her touring with my son fron the end of may. Ive called her nellie after my daughter who was born premature and didnt make it. So atleast in spirit well be travelling the rivers, canals, lakes and lochs as a family.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I was very pleased with my Venture Prospector, it even popped back into shape after I wrapped it around a bridge.....

P5290506.jpg

P5290510.jpg

P5290533a.jpg

Cheers, Michael.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
im hoping to get a dinghy or a canoe soon but i have 1 arm so canoe may be a bad idea
I used to paddle with a lass who only had one hand and she was a pretty fair paddler!
I have also paddled with paraplegics ... disabilities can be worked around!

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Like john said viegar. Things can be over come. Once im competant enough to do all the work your welcome to join me.

As for your canoe michael. How did that survive? Did it really bend back and float?

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
Whoops! Hope you got out ok. I am just getting into paddling myself, although my is a Yukon inflatable for convenience, storage and transport more than anything.

Good luck with your trips!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
They aren't usually considered a good idea because of the windage - too easy to find yourself either blown out to sea or not able to paddle your preferred course.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Can open canoes be used at sea ? I have only ever used one on a sailing pond about two feet deep
I have often used my canoes on the sea :)
I do however try and check that the weather conditions are not to severe... but I have been out in some hairy conditions before now!
I also have my canoes fitted to sail them :)
That is the beauty of a canoe over a Kayak - you can paddle them, pole them, snub them, sail them, portage them, line and track them: on whitewater, slow rivers, lakes, seas, tiny streams, up river, down river: kneel, sit, stand, jump around (I kid you not), half sit, lie down, brew up, chow down, access kit, kiss and cuddle: solo paddle them, double paddle them them, triple paddle them, raft them up into multiple hulled craft ...: paddle them empty, half loaded or loaded with gear to the gunnels (two people with a load for a self supported week is easy)...
Only the skill of the paddler and their imagination limmits the posibilities :)
And all without having to wear a skirt!
Canoes are the "bushcrafters boat"
Mickallatsea.jpg

Boballatsea.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE