Finally getting round to saying Hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi everyone,
l've been a member for quite some time but have never got round to introducing myself. So about time I stopped lurking and started joining in.
I live in Settle, have been interested in bushcraft and the natural world all my life (now 46). I've been a research scientist, Anglican vicar (retired from full time ministry due to health problems) and am a practising herbalist - hence the user name.

Anyhow, this is a great site - I've picked up a lot of tips and info - thanks everyone who contributes.

cleargreenlight

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
Redditch
Hello. A varied career! Welcome..you'll find plenty to hold your interest here. Did you specialize in a particular field of research?
My friend is keen to learn about the power of plants; do you hold any workshops or know of a way she can learn informally?

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Cleargreenlight,
i worked in the area of crop seed germination - trying to impove the speed and uniformity of germination.

when you say your friend is keen to learn about the power of plants, do you mean using plants medicinally?

cleargreenlight

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
Redditch
Oo such work is so valuable with the challenges of feeding the world's hungry. Have you some work you can look back on and say you made a difference?
Medicinal use of plants and all their parts and in what combination is what you do presumably..and how vast and fascinating and useful. Are you kept busy? I will clarify with my friend and be in touch, thanks.
Alison.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Alison,
unfortunately I worked for a commercial company. They treated growers seed using the technology we developed. I'm sure the research could be used in the wider world but doubt much of it will get into the public domain. That's one reason I became disenchanted with what I was doing and ended up moving on to different things.
re-medicinal use of plants, yes as you say, a fascinating and vast subject but also fairly easy one to get started in with some care (ie. Plant I.D. Is obviously very important). Lots of useful info on this site too for anyone new to the subject.
by all means get back to your friend and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Thanks again everyone wh has taken the time to say Hi.
It's only taken me 4 years since joining to start posting (is that a record - do I get a prize?) but hopefully making up for it now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE