Few days in Co. Wicklow (V. pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,

So, last week I had the chance to spend a few nights in Co. Wicklow. I always enjoy reading other members trip reports so thought I'd contribute. This is my first attempt at a trip report and I forgot to take picks at a few points so please bear with me…

I was staying on a lovely campsite called Hidden Valley in Rathdrum. This is a very family friendly park with a field for camping on one side of the Avenmore and camper/caravan sites on the other, but lucky I had the field side to myself! The staff are really friendly and I’ve been going back to this site on off for several years. I would definitely describe it as a bushcraft friendly camp site!

I arrived down on Monday morning just as the rain started, but managed to get set up without getting completely soaked, and I had brought down a good amount of dry seasoned wood, so it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience I spent a good chuck of the afternoon with the kindle, but the rain eased off in the evening and and I threw together my “throne” from an old tree cutting and my ground mat, and got the fire going. Had a few drinks and cooked my tea on the fire, pizza sambos-smokey bacon and sundried tomato sauce, ham, pepperoni and pineapple with mozzerrella and cheddar cheese.

The veiw from my set up on the the monday: rain!

My throne:

Dinner!

On the Tuesday, the weather was much nicer, sunny all day, with decent temperatures.

I boiled up some water for porridge and coffee, and I got the chance to take a pic of the campsite, then I headed off to do a bit of foraging. Found the usual hazel and birch leaves, some ramson( its, every where there) some wood sorrel and Jew’s ear and a few other unidentified. I’ll be posting picks in another thread in the next few days, but what I am most proud of is I think I found my first pignut!

That afternoon I was very bold and bought a chicken burger and chips on site. (not very bush crafty at all!) , then got the fire going and had some hot chocolate and toasted marshmellows. ( I’m a big child at heart) then settled in for an early night.

Breakfarst cooking:

Campsite:

heading off foraging:

My first Pignut! (I think)

On Wednesday I got up cooked some backed for a sambo then headed off on a hike for the day. (yes there is the odd staged pic here or there, I swear I was genuinely that relaxed in the ten seconds I had to get back in that position. Made some coffee and had some cereal bars for lunch, then collected some dead wood for that nights kindling, and headed back to camp. I proceeded to have a few drinks, the to burn my throne! Had some paste with sauce and hot chocolate for team then hit the hay.

My pack for the hike:

some pics of the area:

Stopped for lunch:

Veiw from where i had lunch:

on my way back i came across this fallen oak tree. must have come down in the late january storms. strecthed nearly all the way across the river. made me sad. :(

Heading home:

Bunring the Throne:

Dinner:

on Thursday I headed home very relaxed after my few days, after a big thank you to the staff.

hope you ejoyed reading/looking.

Regards,

Stephen

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Small world Baelfore, I'm headed to that campsite this weekend! Although we're staying in the wooden cabins as Mrs Qwerty likes her luxury this early in the summer.

Good report and thanks for the pics.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

Robbi, I would strongly recommened it, however i have found it to be more pleasant during the off seasons, as during the peak times in the summer it can be a little like tent city!

Querty, PM inbound.

Ste

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice write up. I wouldn't mind getting the details of that site off you. Some mates wanted to plan a trip soon and it sounds like a good spot for what they have planned, since it seems they allow open fires.

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks guys.

Hibrion, they allow open fires on the gravel areas along the river. TBH it's one of the main reasons I keep going back. however during the summer it can be very hard to get a spot on thegravel, particularly when the water levels are high. much less of a problem during off-peak times, and they are usually more relaxed about the 11pm fire and noise curfew during off- peak as well! I'll PM you the link.

Just to point out I am not currently attached to this site in any way, just a happy customer, however the have offered me the chance to spend the summer camping down there to help out with the archery and hopefully run a few bushcrafty classes for children and beaver/ cub groups! (Yay!)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks guys.

THOaken, it was actually quite cozy,and although the tent felt very cramped after a year of having the space of a 3m x 3m DD tarp, but by rigging that over the tent I had a bit of space to move around in the dry.
Bit less bushcrafty than the norm, but I came home feeling quite well rested and relaxed.

Ste

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a really nice trip and some beautiful scenery, thanks for posting :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE