Ferro rod: Accessory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Hi fellas,
It's good to see my tip with the ferro rod getting around. The tip from Adi007 about using a hacksaw blade is great too - having tried it, I found the saw more forgiving than the blade - nice one Adi007 :biggthump
A short time ago I did some research on people who have paid the ultimate price in wilderness/survival situations. I was shocked to say the least. In one park in the US nearly 1000 people died in less than a five year period. Some of these may not have died if they had the means to make fire.
I wanted to do something. I got to thinking about a tool that could be used in conjunction with a ferro rod - sparks in one end flame out the other.
When I've thought it out and made it, it will need testing. Can I ask some of you guys to help with this?
I have no interest in marketing what I make - some one else can have the hassle of that if they want. I just want to do something to help.
So, if I make several of whatever I come up with, can I send some out to you guys for testing?

Bear Stone

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd be more than happy to try it out Bear Stone! :-D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Bear Stone said:
A short time ago I did some research on people who have paid the ultimate price in wilderness/survival situations. I was shocked to say the least. In one park in the US nearly 1000 people died in less than a five year period. Some of these may not have died if they had the means to make fire.Bear Stone

Which park would that be? I can't find one with 100 accidental deaths from all causes over any five year period.

Tom

Bear Stone said:
Hi fellas,
- sparks in one end flame out the other.
When I've thought it out and made it, it will need testing. Can I ask some of you guys to help with this?
I have no interest in marketing what I make - some one else can have the hassle of that if they want. I just want to do something to help.
So, if I make several of whatever I come up with, can I send some out to you guys for testing?

Bear Stone

you mean a Cigarette Lighter :roll:

ATB
Duncan

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
FGYT said:
you mean a Cigarette Lighter :roll:

FGYT,
You can light your cigarette with it if you want but it might be easier to use an ember from your fire - wouldn't want you to singe your eyebrows! :lol:
All joking apart, a cigarette lighter probably wouldn't work in the kind of conditions that this tool will be designed for. Extremes of cold pretty much rule out lighters and matches don't like high winds and wet. This little tool however will be in it's element in such extremes. A *comprehensive* tool is my plan - whether you're in the Gobi desert or the frozen wastes of the north we need a tool that won't let us down.

Bear

You can light your cigarette with it if you want but it might be easier to use an ember from your fire - wouldn't want you to singe your eyebrows! :lol:
All joking apart, a cigarette lighter probably wouldn't work in the kind of conditions that this tool will be designed for. Extremes of cold pretty much rule out lighters and matches don't like high winds and wet. This little tool however will be in it's element in such extremes. A *comprehensive* tool is my plan - whether you're in the Gobi desert or the frozen wastes of the north we need a tool that won't let us down.

Bear[/quote]

oks :-D But a lighter is a simple and cheap answer to most of the problem (remember you only mentioned US parks earlier)

So theres a Single handed operated ferro rod thinggy spring loaded
you need a compartment to hold the tinder so the sparks concentrate on it (see post on here striking the tinder with the knife

so say a sleeve the rod can slide in to with sprung blades (strikers ) inside that spark when the rod is pulled out and showwer down to the bottom of the tube where you can put your tinder ball ( have to have some holes in the side to allow air in and flames out

so version
1 a sleeve closed at one end with perferations you remove the rod and drop your tinder in the top, push the rod in and push the tinder to the bottom by the perferations then a sharp pull out rakes teh rod on the strikers showering a lot of sparks down onto the tinder this may catch and flame or you can help a smoulder by blowing back down the tube till it flames

version
2 similer to above but open ended bottom

would need to test to see which works best

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE