Feast Of The Hunters Moon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All, today I saw a spectacular moon rise, full and very large, lensed by our atmosphere as it was low on the horizon. My first thoughts were 'that's a Hunters Moon'.. Then I wondered in thought and research!!..
Question is.. after using much Googlefu I couldnt find anything to confirm if it was a 'True Hunters Moon' or if there is another folklore word for this moon in November!?

Wiki stats:
The hunter's moon—also known as blood moon or sanguine moon—is the first full moon after the harvest moon, which is the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox.

Autumn Equinox was on Sept 23rd, the next full moon was on Oct 23rd, this one i saw was on Nov 22nd.

Checking the PaganCalendar.co.uk the Nov 22nd full moon is the Pagan 'Dark Moon', and Medieval 'Snow Moon'!
The full moon on Oct 23rd was the 'Blood Moon' or 'Harvest Moon'
But also the full moon of the Equinox on Sept 22nd is quoted as the 'Harvest Moon'.. So does that make this moon a 'Blood Moon/Hunters Moon' or the one before as both Sept and Oct are down as a Harvest moon on there site??!!.. I'm perplexed now as it's the only 2 sources I could find and Wiki isn't solid fact after all!!
Hope my question makes sense!!

Iv pasted wiki description below:

The hunter's moon—also known as blood moon or sanguine moon—is the first full moon after the harvest moon, which is the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox.

Background

The Hunter's Moon is so named because plenty of moonlight is ideal for hunters shooting migrating birds in Northern Europe.[1] The name is also said to have been used by Native Americans as they tracked and killed their prey by autumn moonlight, stockpiling food for the winter ahead.[2] The Hunter's Moon and Harvest Moon are not brighter, smaller or yellower than during other times of the year, but all full moons have their own special characteristics, based primarily on the whereabouts of the ecliptic in the sky at the time of year that they are visible. The full moons of September, October and November, as seen from the northern hemisphere—which correspond to the full moons of March, April and May as seen from the southern hemisphere—are well known in the folklore of the sky.

Variation in time of moonrise

In general, the moon rises about 50 minutes later each day, as it moves in orbit around Earth. All full moons rise around the time of sunset. The Harvest Moon and Hunter's Moon are special because—as seen from the northern hemisphere—the time of moonrise on successive evenings is shorter than usual. The moon rises approximately 30 minutes later, from one night to the next, as seen from about 40 degrees N. latitude, for several evenings around the full Hunter's or Harvest Moons.

Thus there is no long period of darkness between sunset and moonrise, around the time of these full moons. In times past, this feature of these autumn moons was said to help hunters tracking their prey (or, in the case of the Harvest Moon, farmers working in the fields). They could continue tracking their prey (or bringing in their crops) by moonlight even when the sun had gone down. Hence the name Hunter's (or Harvest) Moon.

The reason for the shorter-than-usual rising time between successive moon rises around the time of the Harvest and Hunter's Moon is that the orbit of the Moon makes a narrow angle with respect to the horizon in the evening in autumn, leading the Moon to higher positions in the sky each successive day.

Brightness and distance

Since the Moon's sidereal period differs from its synodic period, the perigee of the Moon (the point where it is closest to the Earth) does not stay in sync with the phases of the Moon. Thus the Hunter's Moon does not correspond to any special timing of the Moon's distance from the Earth. This is why the Hunter's Moon is not, in general, brighter than any other regular full moon.

Traditional association with feasting

In the northern hemisphere, the Hunter's Moon appears in October or November, usually in October. Traditionally, it was a feast day in parts of western Europe and among some Native American tribes, called simply the Feast of the Hunter's Moon, though the celebration had largely died out by the 18th century. There is a large historical reenactment by that name in Lafayette, Indiana during the early part of October 2010.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE