Farcome Hall No " Moor!"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello People, probably the wrong place but, most of the people it affects will see it here .

Unfortunately my position at Farcome , has become 1 untenable, defense or maintenance is impossible ,2 untenable ,occupation or habitation is impossible .

It is with great sadness that, there will be no more meets at my much loved site , due to reasons beyond my control, don't want to go in to too much detail, suffice to say certain contributory factors such as the Dartmoor National Park Authority, individuals telling untruths ,frivolous reports , and a landowner that wants an easy life , it has been decided to retire the site gracefully from further gatherings , obviously i am very sad ,but i have had to concede defeat .

Anyway as most of you know , we have other sites for meets of limited numbers , and i am in negotiation with regard to new venues , so it's not all forlorn.

Also on a positive note i am aware of the individuals that have caused the odd ripple , so i have something to concentrate on. ( garden camping could become the new bushcraft )

That coupled with the fact that The National Trust actually own the freehold to the DNPA headquarters building and this year are positively encouraging wild camping on their land .

Once i have decided what gear to pack, quite fancy a long term camp on their front lawn! (should be interesting )

So just a massive thankyou to all the happy campers that came to that special piece of land and laughed with the old grey fool. Very happy memories vids and pictures .

So i may be a bit quiet for a while (not a bad thing some say ) A bit sad, down but not out !

Ivan...

Sent from my mates computer in his front room..

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Sorry to hear this Ivan, i know what it's like to lose a venue because of certain individuals and their behaviour both at site and away from it.

Look forward to seeing your pictures of your "wild camp" though:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear of the problems you've had :sigh:
You're a capable and adaptable fellow though :) you'll suss something out, I'm sure.
Best of luck with it :D

atb,
M

TeaBee

Jun 12, 2011
Devon
Really bad news, Ivan - we'll all miss Farcombe. Even more reason to keep our eyes and ears open for new sites where we can join you again in some laughter, foolery and a bit of bushcraft too. As for the troublesome ones, there's only one thing to do - raise your glasses and to say, "Farcombe Hall, gentlemen".

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Something good might just come out of this for you Ivan mate.
Big place Dartmoor, leave no trace and enjoy yourself.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Chin up amigo... everything in life comes to an end at some stage, and we give it a ruddy good send off, several times :)

Onwards and upwards!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks chaps and ladies for your kind comments , to be honest it has not come as a complete shock for the last year or so the various things going on behind the scenes were becoming more and more difficult to keep afloat , the DNPA have to investigate any report of activity within their park however trivial .

If i actually owned the land , it would have been very different , still onward and upward and on a brighter note , looking back at some of the old pics,reports and vids made me realise just how much fun those that shared the place with me had !

So i have just got back from a lovely weekends camp on a wild beach , where there were two others a couple of canoeists and a real coastal forager very interesting people , considering i just wanted to be on my own ! Just once again reiterates that like minded souls are just that .

Anyway enough chatter , head a bit clearer awoke with a bit of focus looks like i have found a job ! No mean feat in this climate especially at my age , god thats going to be a shock to the system.

Ivan...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... "Farcombe Hall, gentlemen".

That made me spill my tea. :)

Ivan, I was hoping to get down there sometime soon, it sounded like a great place but it looks like it will have to be somewhere else.

No matter, it's not the place that really matters, it's the company. :)

Cheers for all the efforts you've made for everyone and long may they continue. :You_Rock_

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi ged, thanks mate , don't worry head is back on shoulders and new sites are being investigated , i still have some lovely spots that we can have meets just on a smaller scale , like 6-8 max , which are great in themselves , it's just finding the ideal place where we can have the odd big one! That is prooving a little harder , especially having been spoilt up at Farcome !

But i won't give up that easily , and you would be more than welcome to join the gang anytime.

Ivan...

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Surfaced again and catching up on the news. Sorry to hear about the changes Ivan, but as you know I will follow you anywhere mate, and am also keeping my ear to the ground for any other possible venues we can use.

Courses all finally finished and passed now, so more time to spare and all the pressure off that side of life until the degree starts in September, and lots to celebrate around the next fire we meet at. Maybe a re-visit to the beach some time?

Love to all and missing you,

Lucy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE