F1, I would rather watch paint dry!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I doubt that I am the only one, but I find F1 potentially the most boring thing in the world.

Now normally with my work I am away and am not subjected to this total travesty of Television Broadcasting, but I have been home for a while and I have to say that I would rather set fire to my head and have it extinguished with a sledgehammer than watch F1.

Unfortunately my housemate is an F1 fanatic. He claims that he thinks it's marvellous, but he seems to sleep through most of it.

I think that good rumours to start would be:

"I had heard that they were going to ban it from the penitentiary system because it could be classed as a cruel and unusual punishment."

and

"The NHS have been looking at employing it as a method of inducing a coma, however because it also placed all of the medical team into a coma those plans were scrapped."

The fact that they allow this to take up hours of broadcasting time during the F1 season (which is far too long IMO) is a travesty when they could put something educational on the telly instead.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I got bored of F1 in the late 1990’s.
Too much Schumi, to much reg. Too much safety.

I do watch a couple of races every year, still, but without the enthusiasm.
Imo virtually all motorsport has become boring.

The only car motor sport I like today is rally. But living in the Caribbean I have problems finding a way to watch it on tv.

Reactions: leon-1

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To each their own. I find football totally boring (I've never watched a whole match and never been to a live one), as well as cricket (I only ever watched that when I lived in Nottingham and shared a house with some of the Nots players), but I don't complain about the endless hours of TV coverage.

In my other life I was a technologist and we did work for a number of the smaller F1 companies - the engineering puts other industries to shame.

There is an off button :)

Reactions: leon-1

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Soccer, tennis, F1 (any motor sport really), cricket(isn't that an insect?), athletics (folk running around and around in their underwear), track cycling (Alien larpers on sci-fi bikes), Tour de France/Spain ... anywhere (road jamming psycho peddlers) et al leave me cold....
Give me a good game of Rugby Union any day:)

leon-1

I got bored of F1 in the late 1990’s.
Too much Schumi, to much reg. Too much safety.

I do watch a couple of races every year, still, but without the enthusiasm.
Imo virtually all motorsport has become boring.

The only car motor sport I like today is rally. But living in the Caribbean I have problems finding a way to watch it on tv.

I appreciate Rally sport.

Broch said:
To each their own. I find football totally boring (I've never watched a whole match and never been to a live one), as well as cricket (I only ever watched that when I lived in Nottingham and shared a house with some of the Nots players), but I don't complain about the endless hours of TV coverage.

In my other life I was a technologist and we did work for a number of the smaller F1 companies - the engineering puts other industries to shame.

There is an off button :).

I am not a fan of football, so I don't watch it. I am not a fan of cricket, even though I have been a marshall at matches, I certainly don't watch it. F1 I have virtually no option on as I said my housemate is an F1 fanatic and he even records it so he can watch it again and again and again. He also likes cricket, golf and darts. Need I say more!!

If the engineering is that good then perhaps they should make programs about the design and technology within F1, that at least would be interesting. Actually they did do a program to do with it, it was impressive. I watched that because I appreciate engineering.

As I said the majority of the time I am not about to watch the drivel that they put on the normal channels.

Reactions: Toddy
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
It has been on and off in excitement since the late 70 when I took an interest in it, the technology is fascinating even when the racing is not

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Soccer, tennis, F1 (any motor sport really), cricket(isn't that an insect?), athletics (folk running around and around in their underwear), track cycling (Alien larpers on sci-fi bikes), Tour de France/Spain ... anywhere (road jamming psycho peddlers) et al leave me cold....
Give me a good game of Rugby Union any day:)

The English, not being a very spiritual people, invented cricket to instill in their youth a sense of eternity..........:emoji_cricket:

(Paraphrasing GBS)

Reactions: Toddy and sunndog

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Anything where grown men chase each other around a field and or after a ball, no ta, pretty sure most just need a man-hug :)

Partial to a bit of touring cars or GP back in the day but F1 is like watching someone watch paint dry.

Most Martial arts I will watch with MMA my least favorite. Life changing injuries for sports sake no ta once again.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am a mediocre marksman in most shooting sports. Very proficient bird hunter = if it flies, it dies.
I do like to watch some target shooting, the pistol events, because I I've done it and I know what they are trying to do.
Body language, breathing, I can see that much.Some can't focus and that's almost embarassing.

I think that if I had been so inclined to do any sports car racing, I'd have a better understanding.
F1 is so technological now, I'm waiting for remote control. Then it's sunk to the level of a video game.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why dont they put on stuff like the East African Safari rally?

Thats real hardcore motorsport.

(But I dont have a telly and dont care what is on it. I seldom get the time to watch my petty DVD collection these days, I suspect nearly half is unwatched)

(engineering is good too.)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bucket List:
Go to some glamorous European place and watch the Red Bull(?) Air Racing Series with the giant pylons.
Go to Florida and figure out how to watch along some APBA racing day (offshore power boat races.)
Drive a 32' Skater power boat in a Poker Race.

I know a very good drone pilot, he's worked for me, does a lot of insurance imagery from a bird's-eye POV.
He's my wings.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's entertainment, sport. Some attend to watch for smashes and wrecks.
I won't go out of my way to watch chess, contract bridge or javelin throwing or bicycle pursuit.
But, I felt like I was the entertainer for nearly 40 years so sock it to me.

Once upon a time, long ago, there was a Brit who used to travel to the continent for F1 races.
He always carried a top quality portable tape recorder and a sack of extra batteries and tapes.
All he wanted to do was to record the sound qualities of the different brands of engines
doing all sorts of gear changes and so on. All sorted out and cataloged.

Then I read that he scored some sort of a motion picture deal with his recordings being
very legitimate sound for the movie sound track. He retired with the proceeds. The End.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I used to watch F1 and other racing, but don't now - don't really watch much as when not at work there's too much other stuff needs doing. My kids have been watching redbull rampage - mountain bike rally time trial / trick type thing. It is truly amazing what some people can do.

edit////////////

Football, meh, I'd rather play. same with Rugby, I'm not really fit enough now :(. I've been to two live football matches, didn't know who was playing and couldn't give a monkeys who won, but the atmosphere was very engaging and I had a huge amount of fun.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
While I marvel at the engineering and skill of the drivers, as a sport I find it unwatchable. Not to say I was never a fan, but it’s lost it’s charm for me. I was well into Touring Cars in the days of Matt Neil, Jason Plato etc, but I don’t know the drivers well enough these days, and coverage is sketchy at best on terrestrial/Freeview channels. MotoGP when Rossi was in his heyday was good entertainment too.

All in all, I’m not really a sports fan. However I’ll happily watch The 6 Nations, or even an important Test match, but generally find sport really boring. Don’t start me on football...:dunno::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have come to the conclusion that society is (generally) made up of spectators and participators.

Now that I can no longer participate in the sports I enjoyed (rugby mainly) I have too much to get on with to turn into a spectator. Consequently, I watch the six nations, about 3 F1 races, and the rare Pro14 match - and that's about it for the year. Even then I sometimes get to the end and think 'I should have been outside!'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE