1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exped downmat 9

Discussion in 'Kit Chatter' started by Gray, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Gray

Gray Full Member

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the downmat 9. Mine has developed a big air bubble in it which apparently is not repairable. So, if I where to cut one end open and insert a cheap self inflating mat, would the downmat still insulate me from the ground. Thoughts please guys and girls. Thanks in advance.

2. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

3. Gray

Gray Full Member

Thanks Toddy, its a huge big lump which makes the mat unusable. They are so expensive and I just can't afford to get a new one. I love the warmth it provides in the winter and I'm hoping to be able to kind of rescue it.

4. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

Try getting in touch with the company. Do you have any sort of guarantee with it? Thermorest will repair or replacement and have a lifetime guarantee . I don't know about your mat but it's worth a try, particularly if you have only had it a few years. They are an expensive bit of kit so as long as it's not general wear and tear such as a puncture that can be repaired at home ...most mats have a puncture repair kit as standard nowadays.
    It sounds like delamination. They should repair or replacement as it's a defect.

Gray likes this.
  5. Gray

Gray Full Member

It is delamination but I've had the mat about 7 years and you only get a 5 year warranty. I'm not complainig about it, the mats been fantastic and i would buy another but cant afford one. I'll try looking for a 2nd hand one and start saving, thanks a lot for the advice.

6. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

That's a real shame. Have a look at the end of season sales. This time of year a lot of stuff is sold off cheap as they will have new versions comming out next season.

Gray likes this.
  7. dwardo

dwardo Maker

Did you get in touch with Exped? Tell them their guarantee isnt as good as Thermarest but still you want to stick with them? hint, loyal customer,.

Gray, Toddy, Nice65 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

You can try millets end of season online sales. They have a berghaus peak pro insulated mat for £64 right now.

Gray likes this.
  9. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

I have the Exped Down Mat 9 too, and if mine died I'd buy another. It really does beat the rest hands down.

I think it'd be worth contact Exped and asking; they're very good with their guarantees and so on, and they might like to actually see how this one failed.
    Nothing to lose by trying.

M

10. petrochemicals

petrochemicals Full Member

I do not think it beats a alpkit duomo and a nice soft wool blanket for the top, not in weight or warmth, but perhaps compactness. The hardness and sterility of these mats mean you have to have a bit of padding.

Gray likes this.
  11. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Mine's not hard, it's sort of rounded, but then, so am I :oops:

Honestly I've never felt the need for padding on top of the downmat, it's firm and warm beneath me, and a sleeping bag or quilt on top's enough.

The end result of rheumatoid arthritis is that at times I really ache, but the downmat is comfortable even with swollen joints.

I think technology has moved along so much since the days of the first closed cell foam mats, and we were delighted with those compared to a blanket and a bit of oilskin beneath us to sleep upon. There are so many options now that we can chop and change as we, and the budget and weight limit, allows.

M

Gray and petrochemicals like this.
  12. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

Have a word with them anyway, they can only say no but you may be surprised.

Gray likes this.
  13. TinkyPete

TinkyPete Full Member

I had the same happen to my first one, and I ended up replacing it because it was so good.

Gray likes this.
  14. petrochemicals

petrochemicals Full Member

I'm still lookin for a foam mat with comfortable. 2 type layer foam about an inch thick. I know they did some thinner ones with 2 foam types but they where about 1cm thick.

15. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

That's a blast from the past :D
    We still have a bright orange one like that up the loft. It folds, concertina style, there's no way to roll it.
    Fills a rucksack all on it's own, but when Himself was car camping to get near to a range of hills for climbing, it was ideal.

M

16. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Forager

Reading of incidents like this, I sometimes wonder if Exped have a problem with the adhesives they use in the manufacture of their kit.. The summer before last I was camping in Norfolk and returned to my tent one day to find that it had been invaded by a grey, Hump Back Whale.

Hello! I thought, how did you get in here? Then I realised it was the Exped mat that had suffered a transformation. The middle two tubes had become one and now lay bloated and about 6 inches higher in the middle than at the sides. Obviously whatever kept the tubes together had failed.

I can't remember the model number, it had a built in 'pump' area that had to be depressed to inflate the mat. Not 2 years old, somewhere around £100 I think I paid for it. I had used it throughout the previous Winter quite frequently and always kept it deflated and stowed flat when not in use.

I never did enquire with Exped about replacement, although I did consider painting a couple of eyes on it and chucking in the pond to frighten the locals.
    Back to a spongy (Dutch) kip mat now. zzzzzzz

:D

#16 saxonaxe, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019